+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Took My Son Fishing Today

Default Took My Son Fishing Today

My nine year old son and I planned a fishing trip to the local lake today. We left the house at 0530, headed into town and got breakfast and we were at the "MIS-MANAGED" Army Corps lake by 0700. As we drove, I tried my best to explain to my excited Son sportsmanship as it applies to fishing and hunting. 0705, we are at our fishing spot only to find it littered with; broken beer bottles, plastic six pack rings, empty hook packages, fishing line, worm containers etc.....

After cleaning the area and putting the trash into a bag that I had brought for just such an incident, we fished. While we did not catch a fish today, my son learned a lesson. I hope that when he gets older, this day will be with him and that he continues the tradition of respect.

As I explained to my son, the people that left this garbage behind claim to be sportsmen. They may have the technical knowledge to catch fish, but they are not sportsmen.

Thanks for the time.

Hey 2lh,
    Thanks for taking your young'un fishing. Thanks for teaching him that "fish" is not all of it, though it is probably hard to realize at that age. Thanks for spending time with your young'un. In your chosen field, you must realize how important THAT is.
    Keep up the GRAND work....
    .....lee s.

2LH... that's what I call Dad's rule. My dad taught me... more years ago then I care to remember... that you always bring out more than you take in. I tried to pass that onto my son and now we are teaching my grandson the same thing. He's a little younger than your son at 5, but it's never too young to start teaching them hopefully the right way. We had taken him fishing to a local stock pond and managed a few fish, but he learned that there is more to it than just fishing. We walked the banks and saw deer tracks and beds, laughed at how silly Canada geese looked when they got their gear down and are landing and then we picked up a few feathers for me to make him a special fly. After awhile, I couldn't get to the trash can. He'd pull the trash out of my hand telling me he'd get it. Next project is going to be his little 20 month old brother. He's going to be a challenge, that's for sure.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Good for you, Lefty! Thanks for all of us!

Hey 2LH,

Well done! Sorry the fish didn't
    cooperate today. You guys deserved to
    catch some. But you taught your son a
    life lesson today that will make a
    difference. Good on ya. Warm regards, Jim

Blog Entries

2lh

good for you! I am in the same boat as you in that I have a young son who is learning about the outdoors.

May we both have great success in teaching them the right ways as outdoorsmen and gentlemen.

tight loops

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:950e8]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:950e8]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

2LH,
    Good for you! Too many folks chose to teach ONLY "technical knowledge" & the result, far too often, is a mess such as you & your son cleaned up. I was fortunate to be raised by a man who insisted the FIRST things you learn about any sport/endeavor are the courtesies & considerations. You are starting your son in excellent fashion & you are to be applauded. Thanks for improving our environment!

maddog,
    My rule as well.."Take out more than you took in." If EVERY person just took a few pieces of trash out....
    Mike

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 15 March 2005).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Guys,

thanks for the replies. My son has become my outdoors partner and I am trying to instill the respect that my dad instilled in me (carry on the tradition). I have just really become disgusted lately with how we are finding some of our favorite spots. Last Sunday was just a boiling point and I appreciate the ability to vent here.

+ Reply to Thread