+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Journals

Default Fishing Journals

To those of you who keep fishing journals:

how often do you write in them (do you forget sometimes), do you write in it all at once (at the end of the day/trip or jot down stuff throughout the fishing day), what information do you include in them(flies used, rod and reel info., weather and water conditions, leader size, etc.), how do you keep it organized (loose papers, binder, notebook?)and how often to you refer back to it?

I've been out a number of times, but only have 4 entries. I made a generic form to fill out each time I go out, but I'm a slob and have papers everywhere, and not getting better as I age. I'd like to read how others organize their "fishing journal" so that I can feel motivated to get my act together! Care to share?

I've kept journals for a number of years but I'm afraid that they look like my high school notebooks with lots of scribbles and drawings that have completely lost their meanings to me. There are also, numerous phone numbers with no associated names and lots of names,important enough to write down but not a chance that I can remember why.

I do believe that a book made especially for the purpose would be a good idea. I'd like to see the one in the post above. The thing mentioned first in mine is USUALLY the date and times, where fished, stream conditions including surface water temp and clarity. Weather in my book is sometimes a little involved because I try to correlate fishing and weather conditions. Then number and kinds of fish caught. At one time I kept track of their sizes and now mention them only if they are big or juvenile wild fish. A very important part IMHO would a large area, perhaps a half page if the book is pocket sized for Notes:

Moon phases can be always be looked up if needed. I don't take my journal with me at the stream so mine are usually spiral notebooks that cover several years and are falling apart and a terrible mess! I'm 73 and things just ain't gonna change now. If I were to make notebooks for fishermen. I would stick with the spiral design so it would lie flat and have durable covers both front and back. Another thing, It would be good to include on the cover is "If found please return to" and a good big place to put your name and address. I lost one of mine recently.

Ol' Bill

For many years I used calenders and filled them in. I keep them and can refer back when needed, something I do often.
    For the past 2 years I have been using a moleskin. They are available at barnes and noble. I carry one or two with me anytime I go fishing. Sometimes I write as soon as things happen, sometimes I sit in the car and do it.
    Either way they are compact and easy to carry.

I've been keeping a journal for the past two years for my trout fishing. I use a Rite-in-the-Rain one:

[url=http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=46917:6 788e]Campmor has them[/url:6788e].

I like it because I'll carry it on the stream, and not worry about getting it wet (use a regular pencil, or one of the special rite-in-the-rain pens). they come in all different sizes, the one I got is about 4x7".

I like to write down where I fished, time, general weather conditions (including water temp), fish caught (or not), fish seen, flies tried (and what was successful). I'm not really keeping one to know exactly what works at what time of year, but rather to relive good days (I still reread about one particular day on the W.B Ausable...).

I'm planning a move to New England this summer, and will get much more into striper fishing... in which I will keep a detailed log of tides, moon phases, water temp, etc.

Fishfreak,

I use an open style in the journal. I try to remember to put down the date, location and who was there.

I prefer an open style as it's more of a read than a data base. Tides, moon etc I can look up. Water temp registered at the biology stations along the river so I can look it up.

I like mine to be a souvenir when winter gets long.
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/Journal/Journal.html:a827a]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/Journal/Journal.html[/url:a827a]

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:a827a]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:a827a]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread