+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another [perhaps dumb] casting question

Default Another [perhaps dumb] casting question

I've been stimulated by this board to get more serious about practicing my casting....don't have ready access to water so...I'm thinking ...use for practicing on grass a lower priced line but still decent quality [say Hook & Hackle's]...dedicate any old reel for practice...and I could use my good rods....however I'm also thinking it would be more efficient to have one outfit set up at all times so I could just grab it and go out and practice..wouldn't want a lot of more expensive stuff tied up that way...or say an expensive line ruined.

So my question is ...
    Does it matter if you practice with low end stuff or is it more efficient to use the better quality?

Duck,

IMHO, especially when starting out, practice with your normal rod. This way, your timing will get burned into your muscles.

Example, if you practice with a slower rod for weeks on end and finally hit the water, you might find it a bit weird swithcing back to your "real" rod.

Ideas ??

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:78b2d]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:78b2d]
    Christopher Chin

duckster,

Practice with any rod is better then no practice at all. However, I'd say you're much better off practicing with the rod(s) you intend to actually use. After all, if you pitch hardball, would you practice pitching overhand with a softball?

Allan

Well here we go.....as usual, we have done it backwards.
    When we started we had very few (only one) rods to choose from. For practice or fishing! Eventually we aquired many. Too many according to our bride!
    Anyways we took a rod that was our least liked because it "tired" us to use it.
    We found that it forced us to use good basic casting principles to make it "work" for us. Later we were able to use what worked there, to correct some of the "bads" we were doing when we got tired while fishing our preferred sticks.
    Make ANY sense at all....?
    ......lee s.

+ Reply to Thread