+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type Two Blues

Default Type Two Blues

On another thread, under the subject of Health and Fitness, weight loss and conditioning are being discussed. Maybe the following will help others:

I am (was) a pretty good sized guy, aged 71 6'2" and I "used" to weigh 222. I thought Iwas in pretty good shape for an old goat. About 3 weeks ago, while seeing the M.D. for treatment for Brochitus, they made a blood test. The outcome of that test is that I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. A shock to me since my numbers have always been within norms. And, while not the most healthy diet, I've generally watched what I ate (and I "ate" aplenty my friends). Now the resulting numbers coming out of the test weren't astronomical but still high enough to issue some serious warnings....Blood Glucose 137 fasting (the top norm limit is 100). Blood Pressure 138/88 (norms vary according to age).

We have a Golden Retriever Therapy Dog who is responsible for us doing at least 3 and sometimes 4 fast walking miles (15 minutes or less per mile) every single day. I've been in that routine for 2-1/2 years now. He is also responsible for us making the rounds at a local hospital at least once per week. At the hospital we see any number of medical conditions from a close up standpoint and also, due to the Therapy Dog program, are the recipient of a medical overview annually. In addition, there is alwasys plenty of reading material around the hospital about various problems such as Diabetes, back problems, need for exercise, etc. Still I was pretty surprised to learn of my condition.

Here we are 2-1/2 weeks later and I'm very upbeat about my situation....why?? The following:

I've stepped up my physical activity by working out at my club on a daily basis in addition to the daily speedwalks with Lancaster, the Super Dog. I've followed the South Beach Diet with a fervor for 14 days now (at first I fought the Doc over the choice because I was under the misunderstanding that it was a fad diet, I'm now very much of a proponant of SBD.)

In the meantime, Doc decided to "protect my kidneys" with a drug that also lowers the BP.

I take my BG once per day and my BP twice per week.

Here's the results to date:

Blood Glucose - avg. 96 fasting (I've had numbers as low as 92). So I'm getting that under control. How? Diet and Exercise.

Blood Pressure - 117/78 (The drug is the prime reason here I suppose but the weight loss helps huge I'm sure.)

Weight lost to date - 16 pounds (11 to go to reach my goal)

I feel great and have a positive attitude towards the future. Turns out that I'll control this thing.

Who lost in the deal? Schmirnov, Coors & most of Napa Valley.

Who gained on the deal? Me, my family and the local fly shops who will have a good customer for many years to come.

This saga isn't meant to be a self discription of my travails but is truly to issue a warning to all of you. Diabetes is an eventual killer if not controlled at once.

Get a health check-up, stop smoking, lose weight, get plenty of exercise. Why? Because you want to live a much longer life. If you want further info, email me personally.

[This message has been edited by Silvertop2 (edited 27 February 2005).]

Outstanding, Silvertop! I have heard some people grumbling about America's "health fad", this is no fad! This is people across the country getting in control of their lives, just like you're doing!
    I'm just a wee little fellow (18 yrs. old), but my health has sort of slapped me in the face recently too. During high school I never really cared about the shape I was in, I ate all the time and rarely exercised (aside from hunting and fishing trips ). When I got to college I saw just how horribly people were treating themselves. Poor sleeping habits, poor diet, little or no exercise, drinking and smoking, etc. I have seen how all that takes a toll on some people I knew in high school, and I decided that it wasn't going to happen to me. I started exercising and swimming laps, eating better, and while I don't drink now my plan is to get through all four-and-a-half years of college without touching alcohol. The result? I've lost about 15 pounds instead of packing on the "Freshman 15", and I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. That's great, of course, but the real payoff (hopefully) will be when I'm later on in years and still able to do the things I love.

Wow OkieBass...I'm proud of you!! You're absolutely right, taking care of yourself now will pay off big time in later years.

I didn't post my saga for accolades though folks...I truly was issuing a severe warning, I'll bet there are several of you reading this right now that either have PreDiabetes (Blood Glucose just over 100 and 25 pounds overweight) or Type II (Blood Glucose well over 100). Get to your Doctor and get a blood test....sure, it may cost a bit, but not nearly as much as it will cost later for a white cane or a prothesis on either leg. Several studies have shown without doubt that Diabetes, either Type II or Type I (also called Childhood Diabetes) will eventually cause poor circulation (ergo loss of foot or limb), eye disease (eventually blindness), stroke and/or heart attack. Now ain't it cheaper to get your blood tested?? Think about it. I wish someone had kicking me in the butt 20 years ago when I started to expand my belly!

Again, Okiebass, hang in there, you're doing the right thing.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

Silver,

Good for you for doing the right things. Would you believe that when I was diagnosed as a Type 1 in 1993 my blood sugar was 694. I had no idea what was happening, no diabetes in my family history, I was so close to going into a coma they could not beleive I was still standing. I have been wearing an insulin pump for 5 years and am so grateful for all the research going on and truly beleive that a cure will be found within my lifetime.

Good luck to you.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    I can't pretend to know what I don't, so I won't.
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:3b07f]FlyReelDots.com[/url:3b07f]
    FAOL Sponsor
    FAOL DOTS are now available
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Listen to silvertop2 guys. He helped me a great deal with My "Health & Fitness" post!
    Maybe we could get Lady Fisher And Castwell to make this a regular topic?
    As we age we also become wiser.

------------------
    Cactus

There is a Pennsylvania Dutch saying, "Too Old Too Soon, Too Smart Too Late".

Jack, glad to help a little...you received a lot of good advice from everyone in my mind.

------------------

nighthawk Guest

Silvertop2,
    You are awarded an atta-boy! Keep up the good work. I have lost 100 pounds and will not be happy until I lose another 70-80. I weighed almost 400 pounds. Blood sugar is good, bp is way down and pulse is down. Danged osteoarthritis hurts like the devil but that's because of the winter weather.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Wow!! Nighthawk, I guess that makes my measlely little 17 (221-204) pounds look like pocket change!! You are the guy to get the AttaBoy.

The rest of you skinny-challenged folks, have you made an appointment to get your blood tested??? Better do, you shouldn't rest easy until you "make it happen".

------------------

Great. I too had high blood pressure 170/110. I took meds to lower it, and then using weight watchers lost 35 lbs. BP got low enough I threw away the pills. I kept the weight off for 3 years but the pressure has gone up enough to start with meds again.

With the weight loss I also have less knee pain and less back pain as well as more energy. South Beach and Weight Watchers both are good healthy diets to live by, not just loose weight by. I encourage all to consider it if you need to loose weight.

jed

June 2004, saw the doctor for bi-yearly checkup for skin cancer (take pictures and compare them to the other pictures in my medical file). Good news, no new moles going radical. The bad news, weight is up to 245 pounds, makes me 80 pounds above my ideal weight (can you say fat?). Doctor told me to start exercising, and watch my diet.

March 2005, my weight is now 184 pounds, and I have lost 61 pounds. Went from a 46 inch waist to a 38 inch waist on my trousers. My shirt size was Two Extra Large (2XL), now it is Large (L). Still have about 15 pounds to go, and those will be the toughest to lose. But will continue with my low impact speed walking (120 steps/minute) doing them for 1 minute, with 60 steps/minute in between. The time period you do these, is increased as your body starts getting conditioned, and as the weight is lost.

Eating more vegies, and fruit, cutting down on my carbs, but still getting my grain requirement(bran, germ, & endosperm). Learning to use less meat with a meal,using meat as a flavoring instead of the main course.

Since I have lost 60 pounds, I feel like I can leap a small building, with a couple bounds! If you want to know what carrying 60 pounds all day feels like, pick up one of those plastic tubes, containing dried sand, they have them at the hardware store (commonly used for ballast for traction in vehicles). Carry the bag of sand across your shoulders, and walk around the store, you having fun yet? How long did you last, minute, two minutes? Imagine carring that weight around 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!

I still cannot touch my toes, but at least I can see them, without needing a mirror. I can now put on my socks, without struggling, and being short of breath after doing so.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 01 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread