+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrogance

1. Default Arrogance

Hi Gang..
    Just back from a wonderful fishing holiday in Cuba! Two weeks of bonefish, barracuda and snapper on the long rod. Hooked my first tarpon, estimated at 100-120 pounds by the guide, which threw the hook 20-odd feet into the air after a 200-meter run.. totally awesome! It's a beautiful country, with such friendly people. Every day, my guide had everything organised.. all i had to do was turn up in the hotel lobby each morning, all else was taken care of by Juanito. My boat guide, Orlando, was top-class too! Both guides worked their hardest to put me onto fish each day, their love of fly-fishing just shone through and made the holiday almost perfect! ALMOST??? i hear you say???
    Yes, almost! On my final few days fishing, a party of Canadians were fishing from the lodge too... around seven or eight of them. Their loud behaviour, bad language,abuse of the guides and sheer arrogance(or should that be ignorance??) upset me. After such an amazing 2 weeks in paradise, i was looking forward to returning to Cayos Paredon,Romano and Coco again next year... now I am not so sure! I have to write up an article on the Cayo Paredon bonefish for the travel company... and to be honest, i'm not sure my heart is in it now! I have my memories and photos, both of my fish and of the wonderful, hard-working guides who made that holiday superb.... but also the memories of these discourteous and arrogant a***oles. Although they had all the gear, they weren't fly-fishers... they didn't have what it takes to be a fly-fisher!
    Sound-off finished for now... look forward to your feedback! Thanks, Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

Eh! Not all of us Canadians are jerks. I am sure that all of the various cultures and countries are all equally capable of producing such "people"

3. Default

SheTies,
    I'm sure each and every country produces these 'people'.... I didn't insinuate otherwise! I met many friendly, well-adjusted Canadians,whom i got on well with, at the hotel on Cayo Coco. Unfortunately, the people i met whilst fishing WERE Canadian, and i feel they not only let themselves down with their behaviour, but were very poor ambassadors for both fly-fishing, and their parent country!
    Andy

------------------

I am sorry that these people almost ruined your holiday, there is really no excuse for discourteous behaviour, esp while on vacation. Maybe you should come over to BC and try out some of our trout fishing with some of the nice Canadian locals here.

5. Default

SheTies,
    Its on the list of my places to fish;

Belize (bonefish)
    Massachusets (stripers)
    Canada (trout/salmon/pike)

Hopefully, by the end of 2006, i will have experienced the warm Canadian hospitality and caught a few fish.
    Andy

------------------

Drop me an e-mail if you're going to visit the west coast.

Andy,

Sounds like a great, great trip with the exception of those few distractions......

When you if/when you come to Massachusetts to fish for stripers, look up Capt. Charlie Lemieux. He knows Plymouth and Duxbury bay like no other. He's an Orvis endorsed guide so you can find him on thier site or shoot me an email and I'll get you the info.

Rich

8. Default

SheTies,
    I most certainly will email you when its time for my visit to the west of Canada :0)

Quillg,
    I am hoping Dave Micus may be persuaded to show me some striper action! If not, will look up your mate. Many thanx, both!
    Andy

Andy,
    Ever hear the term "Ugly Americans"? Borne of the same type awful behavior. When I was stationed in VietNam & saw China, Japan, the Phillipines, I was amazed at how many of my countrymen seem to forget they are "guests" & should behave with appreciation toward their hosts and the country/customs of that country. The worst part is that those folks will go home complaining of the lack of hospitality they were shown...I think it's more like "sow & ye shall reap".
    I think you should go back...the treatment you received from the natives seemed like it was excellent. You'll run into "jerk tourists" just about every vacation.
    Mike

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 07 March 2005).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Andy,

I've got to agree with OhioTuber. In my travels around the world, courtesy of Uncle Sam, I have seen far more Americans exhibit rude and uncalled for behavior than those of other countries. In several instances I took those offenders to task for the poor manners they were showing the rest of the world. Those citizens from our host country were amazed that an American would dress down a fellow American for behaving poorly.

Every country produces a few ill-mannered and poorly reared individuals. Unfortunately they are the ones who gain notoriety.

I'm sure you can write your story with an emphasis on the fine people who were your guuides and host and the wonderful fishing and surroundings you experienced. Those are the memories that you should share with your readers.

REE

+ Reply to Thread