+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrogance

andy, you haven't seen rude behavior until you fished with me! i'll start drinking now so i'm primed by your visit.

(i'll mail your flies tomorrow)

Dave

aaarrrggghhh!!!

Rude Canadian, is not an embarassment for citizens of Canada, only for those who were being rude and uncaring of others, by their total lack of good manners.

Every country has it embarasments, of people who travel outside their county. Also how visitors are treated at the countries they visit. I have seen this time and time again, in my many years of traveling around the world.

"Ugly American Tourist Syndrome", that treat Third World Nations citizens are something less than human, then there are the "Samari Japanese Businessman" who like to boast how American products are inferior to those made by Japan. Then there are the French who are rude to visitor to their country, who do not speak French, and treat the visitors with contempt. Then there are the British who make fun of how Americans cannot speak English properly.

No country is exempt from their share of rude individuals. So do not feel offended when you see some one being *** in public.

~ Parnelli

"Remember! Everyone we meet in life, give us happiness. Some by their arrival, others by their departure!"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 07 March 2005).]

Andy,
    I think running into rudeness is the luck of the draw. It is an international problem, and happens everywhere. I am sorry that you had to run into it, 'cause that kind of stuff is uncalled for.

Come to Massachusetts, and we can show you a good time. Dave is prepping now and so are the Stripers. Figure May-June or late September-October.

jed

I have travelled to many countries over the years and my anecdotal experience is that tourists are en masse ruder than the typical folk back home. Obviously this is a generalization, but I have a theory that folk who travel tend to be better off and with that often comes a degree of arrogance and a heightened expectation of how they think they should be treated.

For those with a Monty Python bent, it brings to mind the Fawlty Towers skit wherein the American tourist hauls out a wad of notes and says to Basil Fawlty: "How much of this Mickey Mouse money do you need to keep the kitchen open?"

My personal style is to try "act like a local" when I travel by eating at the non-touristy places, going into supermarkets to shop, etc. It has given me some of the most memorable experiences - I still don't know what I ate in Tokyo when I ordered with sign language!

Kev.

5. Default

Hi Guys,
    Yeah, glad it was only for a few days... couldn't have hacked a full two weeks with these guys! It truly is an awesome place though... all these lovely cuban girls wearing only thongs, and all i could think about was the bonefish.Guess it had a profound effect on me! :0)
    JC... looked at Yellow Dog for Belize, looks promising!
    Dave... i never stopped drinking, so should be in good shape for October time! Thanks again for the flies, will send you some by return mail!
    Am looking forward to my travels over the next year or two... just gotta tie up some HEAVY dumbell-eyed flies to cast at the 'travelling jerks'
    .... is a licence required for catch & release jerk-fly-fishing??
    Andy

Andy, you may need a hunting permit in addition to the fishing license. The fishing one for the jerks on the water and a hunting one for the ones still standing on the shores

nighthawk Guest

Andy,
    I can tell you for a fact that these Canadians are not typical Canadians. I have been to Canada many times and the folks up there have always treated me with respect. I also traveled the globe in the U.S. Army. I always remembered the fact that I was an american in a foreign country and always did my best not to offend the people of that nation. Like Ron, I used to bawl out other soldiers that acted like jerks.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Andy
    I'm a bit confused. You say that you had a great time, other than those bad guests you encountered. You said the place was great, the guides did a great job and the fishing was excellent.

But then you say that after dealing with the less than polite guests your heart just isn't in writing a promo piece on the lodge. Call me crazy but what did the lodge have to do with those less than stellar guests? It certainly wasn't the guides fault either. So while it really is a bummer when guests cause problems (it's happened to me as well) why would you punish the lodge that just did such a great job for you?

Seems to me that the thing to do would be to write a great piece about how nice the place was, how good the guides were and how wonderful the fishing was and leave it at that.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Fish (edited 09 March 2005).]

9. Default

Jeff,
    I have started the article, and hope to finish it in a week or so.
    There is more info on my trip on 'Back From Cuba' post in the Saltwater board.
    Ten days into the holiday, my thoughts were that this would be such an enthusiastic article... the last few days kinda knocked that enthusiasm! Kinda like introducing an alien species (i.e.mink) into the countryside... then watching the destruction unfold!
    I have no intention penalising the guides, or anyone else local to the Cayos for the disruption caused by a few 'alien species'!
    The article, when completed, will be forwarded to JC & LF in the hopes that it will provide some useful info for anyone considering a trip to the Cayos. It will be balanced, informative, educational and with no mention of any negatives.(except when i skunked... but thats' another story! LOL)
    The whole point of me sounding off about these jerks was really just to 'get it off my chest'.... i know it happens the world over, its not the first time for me either, but after that, and a ten hour flight back to the UK, jetlag etc., I JUST NEEDED TO SCREAM!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! :0)
    Hope this removes any confusion???
    Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

+ Reply to Thread