+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missouri!!!

I like Massachusetts. Opening day is January 1st. Closing Day December 31st. In between that I get the shack nasties.

I fish the Shad run in Holyoke, MA. On those weekends there are fishermen every 3' along the banks. It is crowded, with people fishing who are the poorest of the poor to those in suits and ties. It's a show, but one that is alot of fun for about 1/2 day. Every once in a while I'll take the fly rod there and there is one corner that you can fish from without hooking trees or people. Other than that, its hardware. For many, hardware and beer, a couple of sandwiches and lots of chatter. I'm glad that the shad run is like a 3 ring circus because it is a fun sceene, but more glad that it is only one or two days a year.

jed

Despite McManus protestations, MO is an interesting state with a great role in the history of the nation.

It's major strength, like all states, is it's people. Despite the image held on the coasts, ST. Louis and Kansas City are modern cities with all the cultural advantages of any other large city.

It's major drawbacks are its heat and humidity during spring, summer and early fall, its location in the tornado belt, and its complete lack of natural lakes.

That's right, MO has no natural lakes. The SE bootheel region was swampland until it was drained by means of a diversion canal between the St.Francis and Mississippi rivers during the 1930's. The Ozark region has some clear gravel streams but they are, mostly, too warm to sustain a trout population. When I was growing up, there were only the trout parks. As a young adult there were only the trout parks.

I spent much of my life trying to get further west and north, looking for trout waters and cooler climes. So, of course, life has me in Florida. And there are no trout waters. But, the summer heat and humidity are actually better than in MO. Reason? We get a daily sea breeze here, we're not in the depression between the Rockies and the Appalachians that serves to trap air masses in the MO/Miss/Ohio valleys.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

Stev Lenon, 91B20'68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

What are the impressions of KC and STL by those on the coasts? I was pseudo kidding in my earlier post about hillbillies and such. Missouri really is a nice place and you hit the major drawbacks correctly. There is nothing worse than the humidity. Anyway I need to visit the outhouse, we should be getting running water in St. Louis sometime this year, at least the mayor promised us.

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Out west here, if I see more than 5 or 6 people on a weekend where I fish, it is usually getting crowded,(except on Flaming Gorge or below the dam).
    During the week I seldom see anyone unless someone is with me.
    claustorphobia can be a real concern for us "western" folk.

However,,,, I will gladdly take anyone out who is willing to come out this way, and hit a day off. Won't guarantee fish, but will some fantastic scenary.

P.S. My youngest daughter lives in Lawrance KS and both girls went to college in leavenworth. KC isn't that bad, spent 4 months there in 1970. Cook my hindend off in August, Sept, froze it in November and December. Wyoming doesn't have that thing called humidity!!
    ------------------
    Wyo-blizzard

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 04 March 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

Absolutely, not only are our streams an abomination; it is always too hot or too cold in Missouri.

Go fish for trout in the lakes in Kansas.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

OK folks, here goes... What I said was something from a quick vidieo on TV> I have never seen anything like that so I responded. I'v never been there, I don't have the T-shirt... I was reacting from about 30 secounds of time. If you do the math, you can see, I don't know what I'm talking about. I just saw it and reacted. Not for me...ok so now I can understand better what was going on. Your best friend standing next to you, your neibor, another step up, maybe grandpa hooking the first fish??? I understand more now. And for an event, sounds like the best of times... THanks for the education...

Tim

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

I have fished Bennett and Roaring River for over 30 years but never on opening day. The "off" season (winter)use to be my favorite time there but it is getting crowded as well.
    I see licence plate in the parking lots from Il, Tx, Ok, Ar, Ks, Wi, Io and Nb. I have to assume the Mo Conservation Dept is doing a job other states wont. As a matter of fact I think Mo has one of the best departments around.
    It takes a special type of person to grab a rod and debark in to that maddness...I never have/will.
    I have seen the Beaverhead above Dillon Mt on opening day, the crowds there aint a hell of a lot better

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 05 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread