+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladyfisher's Article

Default Ladyfisher's Article

Ladyfisher is right on point! My Dad use to say to me " If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything". The Bible also states that a wise man holds his tounge. That tells me that If you think about what you say before you say it you have gained wisdom.

But what if I'm mad at somebody and want to speak my mind?

(BTW, I thought about that one before I typed it).

------------------
    "If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

if i thought about what i was gonna say before i said it, i'd never say anything!

I have learnt its all very well holding your tongue but most people dont realise it bothers you unless you speak up.

tyflier's right. I have worked in the credit/collections field for most of 35 years, and been cussed at MANY times...I'm known for never raising my voice & avoiding arguments. In fact, one younger cohort says he can always tell when i am talking to a "yeller", because I slow down & even lower my voice. It often does "soothe the savage beast".
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Can't remember who said it, but it's very true. If you don't speak up about a problem, it will never be solved. However, there are good ways and bad ways. It's up to you to decide which is which.

I'm new to FLOA but have spent many hours in here looking at articles,patterns, etc. This site is my Monday evening!
    I have to agree with tyflier. Use tact when opposing someones thoughts,ideas,concerns, etc. But be firm in what is right and wrong.
    When someone storms into my office all riled up over a percived wrong I put my work aside lean back and ask them to sit down and tell me about it. We will work it out. Now people do not "storm" into my office, they come in take a seat let me finish my work and then "Discuss" the problem!! Cool heads will prevail.
    This is the best site for tyers & flyfisher ever

------------------
    Cactus

I propose that one of you computer literate people create a new message icon that could be used to remind someone like me to get back on the gentle path. It IS important to express opinions but I think such a reminder could help a lot.

Tyflier hit the nail on the head. It is what I call Irish diplomacy which is the art of telling someone to go to h*ll so that they look forward to the trip.

------------------
    "If it was easy anybody could do it"
    Timothy S. Furey Sr.

I disagree with most of the above. I use foul language, pound my fist on the table, rant and rave, slam the door, kick the wall (but not the dog or my wife) and otherwise make a complete *** of myself. There is method in my madness, however. I do it only to arouse enough anger in my friends to elicit a response. By this time,they are so angry that they don't mind taking the time to show me the error in my ways and I have learnt something. Its an education well worth the black eyes I collect at times. I guess this is what is nowadays called street learnin' but it works fine at club and political meetings etc. I don't have many friends!

Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread