+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Nevada fly fisherman out there

Default Any Nevada fly fisherman out there

Is there any fly fisherman/woman out there that is from the Reno Nevada area, Nevada, or Northern Cal?
    I am be medically retiring from the US ARMY in 3 weeks, due to being injured because of the war. I am moving to the Reno area, Fernley.
    I want to know what fly's they are using in the Truckee river and other streams through out NV.
    Also, were are the good fishing spots, if any.
    I am still a beginner fly tier, I can tie a handful on flies.
    Thank you.
    God Bless and Protect those fighting for FREEDOM
    SSG Jesse
    US ARMY

I haven't lived in Nevada for thirty years now and didn't fly fish when I did but I do recall fishing for trout in Pyramid Lake about forty miles from Reno. We used yelow wooly worms my dad tied up and cast them out with spincast rods using sugar cubes that had a hole bored through them for weight. The sugar cubes would melt away letting the flies float free. The lake is in the middle of the Indian reservation but the annual fishing permit was quite inexpensive.

------------------

all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Jesse, Google for "Ralph Cutter". He is a very well known guide in the Tahoe area and has a monthly newsletter with the reccommended flys for that particular time of the season. There are also fly patterns available on his site.

Pyramid Lake is a tough place to fish because of wind and also the length of cast required to get out to the deeper waters, but it still is very well known in the area as a good spot for monster Rainbow, Cuts, etc. People stand on step ladders in about 3-5 feet of water so they can reach the "good spots". True.

You mention "medically retiring", does your disability limit your wading activities? I'd highly reccommend a wading staff for sure on the Truckee...good size rocks and sometimes moss.

Glad to have you home, and I thank you very much for your service.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

Thanks for all the replies.
    As for the wading question, I have limited use of my legs, almost none. But I will not let that stop me from fishin'. If I have to tie myself to a tree I will. I was told I will never walk again. SO I had to prove the DR's wrong. I can't walk like before, but I am up on my feet.
    I am enjoying tying and learning more about the sport. When I was stationed in upstate New York I got into Salmon fly fishing. I caught a 32lb salmon on a 5 wt rod. Man what a fight. That is what got me hooked on fly fishing.
    So I wont let this enjury stop me, lol.
    tyflier:
    I am from the Susanville CA area. But never fly fished in NV or CA. I would like to email ya and maybe we can talk about going fishing. Thanks
    God Bless you all.
    God Bless and Protect those Fighting for FREEDOM.
    SSG Jesse
    US ARMY

Jesse,

First off, welcome home and God Bless you.

Two good books you may want to track down are, Nevada Angler's Guide - Fish Tales in the Sagebrush by Richard Dickerson and Guide to Fly Fishing in Nevada by Jeff Cavender. The Dickerson book has a full chapter on flies and patterns while Jeff's book has recommendations for each of the waters he covers as well as maps to each site. Both books cover Nevada and the Northeastern Sierra in California.

From Fernly, think East Walker both in Nevada and California. Easy access and not too difficult to wade. The East Walker is open now in Nevada and the California section below Bridgeport opens the last Saturday in April.

------------------
    Dan S
    Slow down and savor the moment; it will be over with all too quickly

+ Reply to Thread