+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: girlfriend

Yep, I'd like to get her something fishing related, but she doesn't fish. I really want to teach her how to fly cast, I think it'll be fun. So, headed out to the mall and settled on this little shop called Build a Bear and got her one of those customed bears. Good gift idea.

Joe,
    Great idea on the bear....something personalized shows a lot of thought on your part, and women LOVE that!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Does she fish?

Seriously. If it were me I would let her go. The only reason being that I would always wonder if she has done it again, or will do it again. In my opinion if she cheated then she's not the right one, b/c the right one would not have to cheat, she would be happy. Just my two cents. Good luck man. that's a tough road, been there done that.

Having had the same thing happen to me, my advice may be somewhat jaded and cold. My gf at the time came back to me after a fling, and I took her in. While i tried to let things go, there was always that lingering thought in the back of my head when she was out with the girls. While on the surface our relationship was fine, it was the feelings of mistrust and anger that that i had that ended the relationship. THe lesson i learned is that once the trust is broken in a relationship, it cannot be regained, as the heartbreak will always be there.I still have bad memories of it, in the extremly rare time i think of her. We parted ways, and I went out guiding in bush alaska to find myself. Untill one does that, there is no way to know what will make you happy. I learned a lot out on my own, and when i did meet my future wife, not only did i know when i saw her, i knew what i wnated out of it. But everyone will make their own decisions in life, so take all the wonderful advice that you have gotten, and when you make your decision, make the decision for YOUR HAPPINESS. Sounds selfish, but if you are not happy, there is no way you can make your special someone happy.

Jeff

Jeff, well said - I've "been there, done that" (over 45 years ago) and I've never forgotten the pain of the moment and the following 7 -8 years until the pain finally ended with the disolving of the marriage. Then a bit more than two years later the other side of the coin came up and I've been in the most wonderful marriage ever since. My bride of 35 years is the greatest thing that could have possibly happened to me....so, as I said earlier, I'd 'hit the road' and the sooner the better. Jeff you are so right (at least in my case).

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

[This message has been edited by Silvertop2 (edited 11 February 2005).]

"The fact is you've run. Girl that can't be undone"

Travis Tritt

Had a similar thing happen to me at that same age. We were however engaged. It killed me inside as I never would have thought she'd do that. I could not let her go and tried to work it out . . .

. . . then I came to my senses, yanked the ring off her finger, grabbed my stuff from her house and left for good. It still hurt for a long time but I never spoke to her again. A few months later I forgot all about whatshername after meeting a beautiful girl in my fisheries class in the Bahamas

Once a cheat, always a cheat . . . never fails. Walk away, no, run away! The pain will go away.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Ledwater, Sounds like you made your decision already. That's fine, it's yours to make, but you did ask us...so... Please proceed carefully. Count me in on the group of "nice guys" who got the same treatment in the past. I think you need to honestly ask yourself if you forgave her because of a sincere, mature, healthy reason; or some thing else like fear (of not meeting someone else) or guilt or a reluctance to endure conflict or lonliness. If you are like most of us, you will be a much different person by the time you are 30. You really have so much ahead of you, don't shortchange yourself if you are going to be living with a gnawing doubt in the back of your mind whenever you are apart. That is a lousy way to live. You can't make someone else happy, that's not your responsibility. Happiness come from within, you can make someone unhappy, but they have to assume responsibility for their own happiness. You sound like a sincerely nice guy - you know where we usually finish- last. My 2 cents... be a friend first and realize that just because you love someone, it doesn't mean that it's going to be "happily ever after". Relationships are more than lust or love, its trust and compatibility too. I hope you find it all, Best of Luck, Jim P.S. Maybe you could run this by a professional relationship counselor - it might be available thru your school...

------------------
    "Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is understanding"

+ Reply to Thread