+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new dog

Tim, I've had several dogs, and so far, have outlived them all except the latest. I've never gone looking for a dog, never bought one, and never asked for one, but somehow I always seem to wind up with another when my best friend is called to heaven. My current owner is a blond cocker spaniel who just showed up at my house one day and refused to leave. He's been living here for about 9 years now.

P.S., I believe it was Will Rogers who said something like, "If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went."

Tim,
    We are out of dogs right now and miss the last one a whole bunch. I saw where the SPCA had a litter of pointer-coon dog mixes a while back and I never even went to give them a look. I miss our last dog...especially on these cold winter nights. He was better than a hot water bottle or anything else I can think of now. I sort of lost all perspective when I hit 73.

Ol' Bill

Well Old Bill, I'm only a year or so behind you and I think you should hear this...

About 2 years ago a very special Golden Retriever named Lancaster came into our lives here in Arizona in spite of my protests that "it's too damn painful when ya gotta put 'em down, I ain't gonna do that ennnymore...."

I now am back to speed walking 3 to 5 miles everyday, visiting hospitals spreading cheer and watching "my Dawg, Lancaster", do his thing with oncology kids, heart bypass seniors, Mom's in Waiting, etc. etc. etc. The Hospices in the area also know where to find us. I have a new focus in life, and you know what? I don't have time to feel down anymore. Each week I see several situations that remind me of the old adage "I felt sorry I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet". Now, each day I wake up I find myself so thankful just to be able to open my eyes.

Snipe, get out there and get yourself a kindly dog....By the Way, there's a poster on my wall in front of me that sez, "I wish I could be as good a person as my dog thinks I am". I'm trying Lancaster, I'm trying.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

Silver...what a great quote. I think I'll use that.

Flats Dude...
    If you like that one, you should have seen the T shirt I saw a couple of years ago. Showed a guy looking down at his dog and the dog lovingly staring back. The caption was ?Gee, I sure hope he never figures out that I?m not God.?
    FFF Life Member #22

Silvertop,
    I agree with all you said and think that I'll be ready to look around again in a few months. Maybe I'll be able to get in shape too!

Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread