+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Spangled Banner sung right!

Default Star Spangled Banner sung right!

FINALLY!!...A sporting event where our National Anthem was NOT "stylized", but sung the way it was written! If I seem like a redneck or "stick in the mud", so be it. I am absolutely sick of hearing singers try to make this great song sound unique, but tonight, a big SALUTE to our uniformed singers for doing it right (IMHO) at the Super Bowl!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I agree and the game ended right too.

nighthawk Guest

Mike,
    I agree! I actually got choked up with the outstanding performance of our nation's finest cadets and midshipmen. The Army Herald Trumpeters were also at their best! Hoo-Raah!!

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

OUTSTANDING job indeed.I am so tired of people butchering that song with all their warbling of every other note.

God Bless America and God Bless our troops still in harms way.

Rocky

Totally agree! I, too, choked a bit as I was those cadets - many of todays choral group members may very well be tomorrows heros. My utmost respect goes out to them.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

I agree and how about that Bud commercial-- the troops welcome arriving back home at the airport.

------------------

Bill

Bill, I agree that was my favorite commercial of all of them!
    I missed the 1st quarter, so didn't get to see the Anthem sung.
    Good game, fair outcome.

Jim A

------------------
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that
    it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by Jim Allen (edited 07 February 2005).]

The National Anthem, the Bud commercial....to me all were chokers....

I remember getting off a plane in Philly in '68 and being called a baby killer.

Your right Mikey.....a big hat's off to those heros that sang it so well....

dleo, and others...having just missed Nam by a few numbers in the draft lottery, I've always felt I missed out on a part of defending, or representing my country. Those that made reference to the "baby killers, etc." are, for the most part, enjoying our freedom. Any vets of any of our wars are my heros...period. Anytime the Anthem is performed (well) sends chills up my spine and a lump in my throat. I attend some NASCAR events, and when the jets do a fly-by, well, that really puts the icing on the cake for me.
    I personally want to thank all of you vets out there. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't be where we are, and to be able to enjoy the best country in the world...thank you! (and the commercial was the best one of the night, they need to show it more).

ohiotuber,
    We must be kin!! From all your posts through the years, we are definitely kindred spirits!
    I didn't get to see or hear any Super Bowl stuff but trusting your words, I agree with you! These singers that sing the national anthem and sound like they have a mouth full of jello, are an abomination. The national anthem is a national treasure and means a lot of things to a lot of people who fought and died for this country and these "singers" need to humble themselves and sing it as it should be. Who do they think they are to think that they are important enough that they can change a national anthem??
    I once had a man ask me what the hardest song to sing was and I said the Star Spangled Banner because of its range and second was America The Beautiful because of the words and feelings expressed in it. It's serious business and these anthems don't need to be messed with.
    Better get off my soapbox but Thanks for expressing your beliefs and ideas for all of us and kindling some fires and thoughts that need to be awakened!!

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

+ Reply to Thread