+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Gurus?

Default Computer Gurus?

Hi-
    It's time to renew my annual subscription for Norton Anti-Virus. I'm running the 2003 version. I'm very, very, very, computer "challenged". Thinking about upgrading to the 2005 Internet Security package that has a firewall. Currently I'm using the MS firewall that came with the XP software & I have a dial-up connection to the internet. Would I be wasting my money on the upgrade or is it worth the extra bucks? Any advice and help will be appreciated.

Steve

So much depends on how you use your computer. If you have been infected before, if you surf the web alot, if you visit unsavory sites an upgrade might be in order. There are also other packages that can help you protect your computer. It really depends alot on your usage.

jed

To be honest, I think you'd be wasting your money. There are programs as good or better available for free. If interested, I can post them.

i use Internet Security 2005 and it works great for me. but asking your ? is sort of like whats best ford or chev. [url=http://www.zonelabs.com:eeb58]www.zonelabs.com[/url:eeb58] is a free firewall that works. [url=http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/:eeb58]http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/[/url:eeb58] is a free virus program .is nortons worth the extra money to me it is.but may not be to you or others.

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Let me expand. All of our incoming e-mail is filtered through Postini, which uses McAfee, before it hits our computer. But we have been infected twice in the last two years. We don't do much broad ranging internet surfing, myself the fly fishing bulletin boards, but my wife signs up for every freebie, giveaway, coupons, etc. I installed Ad-Aware this weekend and it found 187 critical objects, which I quarantined. It did indicate a possible intrusion, that's why I'm concerned about the firewall. If I can download some shareware and save some money, that would be great. But I'm most concerned with software incompatibility, that's why I thought the Norton product might be best, since I have their software already installed on the computer. Thanks foe all the input.
    Steve

Throw away your PC & buy a Mac.
    B.C.Nick

Get a mac if you need a boat anchor. Nothing like a helpful mac abuser.

Not sure what OS you have but if it is XP install sp2. A decent firewall comes with sp2 for XP and it should give you enough protection.

As far as virus software is concerned they all are only as good as the last update. Most of the commercially available virus software will do a good job IF it is kept up to date.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

If it is indeed a newer machine running XP, SP2 will help. The downloads and updates are a killer on a dial up though. SP2 can be ordered from Microsft for free on a CD.
    Staples offers an Internet securities package with there name on it. It is made by Panda Soft. Works really well with XP SP2. Only issue I have with it is; it has an activation code so it can't be installed more than once (bootlegged).

I'm only a computer guru if you are challenged with computers, but may be able to help.

I have the Norton Internet Security package. It is good, but has a lot of bells and whilstles I don't use. You can be safe without it.

As others have said, get and install XP service pack 2. Can do as a long download or order a CD-ROM.

Add a second spy ware program as each one catches different things. I use Spybot and Ad-Aware second edition and they work well in tandem. Both are free.

Train your wife to turn off cookie enabling if she is surfing non-trusted sites. (Usually found under "tools", "Internet options" on your browser.) If you need to allow a cookie to get to a site you want, allow that cookie then clean up afterwards. Ad-Aware will clean out cookies.

Switch over from Internet Explorer to Firefox as your browser. It is a free and easy download and install and, thus far, much less vulnerable.

Zone Alarm and Black Ice Defender are both free firewalls. I did have a problem with incompatability with Black Ice Defender on my last computer, but Zone Alarm caused no problems.

I use all of these, and more, and have yet to get a virus. Of course, the best anit-virus tool is your brain. Be very careful on what attachments and e-mails you open!

Good luck!

I once relied on the XP package and ended up with several viruses and a couple of worms. I even had my checking account breached. I destroyed the old hard drive and replaced it with a new one. I also loaded the Norton Fire Wall as well a virus scanner. Not only is my system more secure, I can also trace the origin of any potential intruders, with their country of origin and address(in some cases). The fire wall will give me a warning and allow me to trace the intruder and make a decision on rather to allow the command or block it. With this I can also report potential hackers or intrusions. For me; I love it and the price is completly secondary in comparison to the price I paid for not having it. Best of luck!

+ Reply to Thread