+ Reply to Thread

Thread: some days...

1. Default some days...

it pays to sleep in.

was up late getting ready for a day floating the Guadalupe river in Central Texas with a buddy of mine. had my flys, leaders, and everything ready, but some how, some way, we were loading the raft and it came to me that all my fly reels were sitting in my dry bag at my place in Houston, 150 miles away. nice.

well, i had the spinner i brought for my friend and he had his baitcaster, so i had to settle for the regular tackle. we floated down to a split in the river and a big pool and eddy where several trout were at the edge of the eddy waiting for a meal. my friend hooked a large fish which shook the hook loose. we went down stream a bit and i had the fancy idea of using some lead and a fly leader to chuck my flys out into the drift. it seemed to be working well and then i got snagged. well, maybe i shouldn't tie my knots so good as my spinning rod bent and snapped just above the ferule. i was utterly disgusted and took all my tackle down and packed up.

we ended up floating the river and sharing drift/casting duties and landed three nice rainbows (for Texas, at least). it actually ended up being fun floating the rapids and all too. well, stupid stupid me. i got home and saw the dry bag full of reels sitting in my room and lo and behold, it's empty. !@#$%!. i looked in the small pocket of the pack I HAD WITH ME THE ENTIRE DAY IN THE RAFT and out pops three slightly wet fly reels.

some days...

------------------
    take him fishing

Hey Perfect,

Some days it don't pay to get out of bed at all.

Been there, done that, don't want to go there again, but probably will!!

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Hey Perfect,

Don't ya hate it when you finally decide
    your stupid only to find that your just
    forgetful? Been there, done that, got the
    shirt.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Yeah, don't feel alone on that one!!

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:3bfb1]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:3bfb1]

Sorry it didn't go as well as planned. The water is very nice right now thought, isn't it?

We've all done it, right? So a long time ago I got me one big ol' bag and always kept everything I'd need (or at least one of each thing) at all times. That way when I take that bag, I'm at least partially covered.

Sort of like carrying some overnite clothes in your carryon in case your luggage gets lost.

So, did the raft thing work out pretty well?

6. Default

i already want to do the float again -- with fly rods only this time. the water was nice, the weather was nice, and the raft was a good way to fish the river. we were standing paddling through some of the riffles trying to spot trout it was that stable. the trout don't have the colors of their mountain kind, but they fight just as well.

------------------
    take him fishing

+ Reply to Thread