it pays to sleep in.

was up late getting ready for a day floating the Guadalupe river in Central Texas with a buddy of mine. had my flys, leaders, and everything ready, but some how, some way, we were loading the raft and it came to me that all my fly reels were sitting in my dry bag at my place in Houston, 150 miles away. nice.

well, i had the spinner i brought for my friend and he had his baitcaster, so i had to settle for the regular tackle. we floated down to a split in the river and a big pool and eddy where several trout were at the edge of the eddy waiting for a meal. my friend hooked a large fish which shook the hook loose. we went down stream a bit and i had the fancy idea of using some lead and a fly leader to chuck my flys out into the drift. it seemed to be working well and then i got snagged. well, maybe i shouldn't tie my knots so good as my spinning rod bent and snapped just above the ferule. i was utterly disgusted and took all my tackle down and packed up.

we ended up floating the river and sharing drift/casting duties and landed three nice rainbows (for Texas, at least). it actually ended up being fun floating the rapids and all too. well, stupid stupid me. i got home and saw the dry bag full of reels sitting in my room and lo and behold, it's empty. !@#$%!. i looked in the small pocket of the pack I HAD WITH ME THE ENTIRE DAY IN THE RAFT and out pops three slightly wet fly reels.

some days...

------------------
take him fishing