+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer question?

Default Computer question?

Dear Board,

I recently switched from dial-up to cable internet. My dial-up service was cancelled as of yesterday.

How do I delete the dial-up program and information from my computer?

When I check for e-mail messages the computer first tries to dial-up and the error messages appear and I can't get past them to my cable provider.

Both services were working equally well yesterday, but now it's a different story.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Tim, a lot depends on your operating system, but in general: Under Control Panel, Local Area Connections, or Network Connections, something like that, you should have two connections listed. One is the dial up. Look at the properties on both to find it if you can. Rather than delete it right away, try to find a disable button/box. That way you can be sure you found the right one.

Again, it depends on your OS, and what version of it's Windows, but that's a start.

You should be able to then direct your email software to the proper connection.

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:68f0b]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:68f0b]

[This message has been edited by RStouff (edited 02 February 2005).]

You need to change/replace the phone number(s) the email program uses to get your email from the old service to the new one.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Dear Board,

I think I figured it out. If anyone wants to help me test it just send me an e-mail to jtmiv@comcast.net. A simple message of "test" will allow me to make sure things are working properly.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Sent the message, Tim.

------------------
    "If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Dear Board,

Dumb old me finally got things figured out. I've received and sent several messages. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Jeeeze, Tim must be sitting on top of the world! What else can a guy ask for than to have broadband capability on the Internet while his dog is warming his feet?

Hmmmmm.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

Tim,

Welcome to the speed of broadband. It's like fly fishing, once you get hooked there is no going back.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    I can't pretend to know what I don't, so I won't.
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:ce9eb]FlyReelDots.com[/url:ce9eb]
    FAOL Sponsor
    FAOL DOTS are now available
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Dear tyflier,

Actually, I had the cable internet provider already set up as my default e-mail. When my dial-up was cancelled everytime I logged in to Outlook it tried to first connect to my old provider. This was exactly opposite of what it did when I had both providers operating at the same time.

I eventually figured out how to completely cancel and delete all information regarding my old provider and things work fine now.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

+ Reply to Thread