+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sanibel snook

Default sanibel snook

The week before the fourth of July the the fam and I went down to Sanibel Island off the coast of Ft Myers, FL. My goal was to catch a snook on a fly rod. The report is late because I just got the film from the waterproof disposable cameras. The first couple of days that we were down there the wind was really blowing hard. I took my 8wt out and after being slapped in the back by a size 2 clouser, I decided that I would wait for the wind to die down. By mid week I had it figured out and the wind started cooperating. The fish were cruising up and down the beach in schools of two or three fish on up to about ten or fifteen. I would stand out of the water about fifteen feet or so from the surf and site cast to the fish. It appeared to me that any time the tide was moving in or out the fishing was good. During slack periods the action slowed down. Early in the morning the would be hardly any wind but harder to spot the fish withour the high sun. So mid morning seemed to be a nice compromise. Size two clousers in all white and all white was were it was at some of them were bead chain clousers. It didn't appear to make any difference but the bead chains were easier to throw with the wind. I was fishing about 8 ft of fluro leader and a twenty pound bite tippet.I had one come up to a crease fly but that was it. All in all it was a blast. Sanibel is so beautiful and there was hardly any people on the beach. Once again I got to meet another great guy from the board, pafisherman. Supernice guy and thanks for the flurocarbon, it made all the difference in bite guards.Here's a few pics:

My first snook on a fly rod

phish

[This message has been edited by phishfool_98 (edited 10 July 2006).]

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 10 July 2006).]

Nice linesider! Regrets we didn't have better communication on getting to fish, but glad you got around to learning the gulf coast aquarium sight fishing fun !

+ Reply to Thread