I was just thinking, while making a reply on another topic, how weird my situation is.

I live on Grassy Mountain in N. Ga. in the heart of the Cohutta Wilderness, and the Cherokee National Forest. Due to the DNRs iron-fisted control over the entire state and all matters therein, we have the most beautiful and remote streams, forests and pristine lakes in the Southeast. It is about 90% walk-in/hiking only access. We have both native and stocked rainbow and brown trout in large numbers. I have a Designated Trophy Trout Stream right behind my house. And in all the years I've been stumbling through the forests and streams here, I have yet to meet another fly-fisher. Everyone I see uses spinning gear or (cringe) various Zebco products. The bait of choice (almost unanimously) is (AAAAUUUUGGGHHH) Berkely Power Bait Trout Nuggets or Paste in yellow or pink color. I can spot a non-local who is here for their first day because they will have a can of corn or salmon eggs with them, which are quickly abandoned in favor of the previously mentioned concoction, as soon as a local informs them of their error.

The locals still regard me with caution and I believe are somewhat apprehensive of my tactics and fishing gear.

I realize that this is a remote area, but it seems that in 8 years, I should've met at least one other fly-fisher. This may be an undiscovered treasure here. If anyone on this board ever comes through here, you should probably check us out.

[This message has been edited by Gigmaster (edited 03 April 2005).]