+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monomoy flats question

Default Monomoy flats question

I'm headed up to Monomoy flats on Sat. Anyone have any current info on the area? I've never been saltwater flyfishing before so any info would help. Will an 8wt rod suffice? Do I need a guide or can I manage without? Is the water still cold?

An 8 wt. will do fine.

The water is always cold. Sometimes more than others, but in general it is nice to have along a pair of polartec pants to go under breathables. That way you can adjust as needed.

A guide would be helpful, but not essential. Look for subtle changes in the bottom, cross currents or anything that would give a fish a place to hide or make it difficult for bait to navigate. Also look for birds they will be working the same schools of baitfish that the Bluefish or Stripers are. If you catch a Bluefish, DON'T let your fingers near their mouth. They can do damage to your fingers. Have a pliers or some hook extraction tool available.

One guide I know of brings along an aluminum 8' ladder to get up above the water for site fishing. That extra height helps you see into the water. Sounds dumb but I hear it works.

I don't know if you're wading or in a boat, but if you take the water taxi out you can ask the taxi driver to let you out where the fishermen are getting out these days and that will get you started.

Think 10' leaders, 12 - 16 lb strength. Clousers, Deceivers or Rays fly are pretty effective. If you run into a school of feeding Blues you can probably put a hook on a beer can and get strikes. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

jed

Thanks for the reply. I guess bathing suit is out? I was going to wade. I have a small kayak, will that work for a taxi?

Your yak will get you there. DON'T!!!Go anywhere near the seals. Give them your fish if they want it.

Don O

Are they killer seals? What's the deal with the seals?

+ Reply to Thread