+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clouser Minnow Casting

Default Clouser Minnow Casting

Alright, how the heck do you cast those bugger with the little dumbell eyes. They are sort of heavy, heck my spinning rig might work. I had a hard time getting those guys out there, they would graze my head or hit the line and fall way short. My guess is a 6 wt in not quite the right rod weight? I can cast most everything else with minimal problems, but those heavier flys were tough. It was a windy day, surprise surprise down here in Tejas, but I was stuggling, luckily no pierced ears today. Perhaps I need a 9 wt rod for safety reason . Yeah,... that's it, safety reasons, my luck the wife wouls suggest a helmet.

"Go Barbless!"... Start with that. Next, you have my word on this, you WILL hook yourself. Sooner rather than later too. Get a bigger rod. You didn't say what size flies, but a 9 sounds like a good choice. An 8 maybe, but a 9 punches the wind better. Last, be careful, wear glasses that are good enough to take a clouser at about the speed of sound.
    OOOOOPS....Forgot; when you clip your rod with the fly, don't be sending it back as defective. You broke it.

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 15 June 2006).]

BryanM

I have one important piece of advice about casting clousers. Put some padding in you hat. If I get hit because of a little gust of wind or something in my cast goes astray
    I get hit in the back of the head. Those clousers will eat you alive if you let them.

I cast a 2/0 clouser I use a 9 wt. Barbless is an option, I have yet to hook myself with a hook while casting but like JC said it will happen one of these days.

I wear glasses that protect my eyes and gloves. If you catch anything on a clouser that is 2/0 be prepared for it to be big... Listen to me I was prepared when I caught the world record at one of the secret pirate meetings. He fought like a tiger on steriods. But I landed him and showed him to my fellow pirates. I still get kidded about letting the world record loose.

He was exactly 1/2 inch shorter than my clouser.
    The record I have is the smallest fish ever caught in the mouth by a 2/0 clouser.
    You never know what will hit next... The next few cast were quite but in about 2 minutes I had a huge snook break my braided leader. YOU NEVER KNOW

Harold

don't hesitate to alter your cast. you don't need to throw that pretty tight loop if the fly is gonna bean you in the back of the head; open it up a little to keep a good distance between the fly and your coconut.

some good points already made
    go up to an 8 or 9 IMO
    open up the loop - this will save your head, as well as other valuable body parts - hopefully the rod tip too
    it might be just me, but I always wear glasses when casting - even if its teeny dries to freshwater fish - a nasty gust of wind or other interference could put a fly in my eye at any time - better safe than not safe

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like maybe a bit higher weight rod would help, until then I will keep my head low. I may also try a few clousers sans lead eyes, as long as the wind is cooperating. Thanks again folks.

Slow down your timing a bit. Don't start casting the opposite direction until you can feel the weight of the clouser besides the fly line loading your rod, that is the flyline, leader, and fly are straight line out in front or back of you.

Besides the glasses I suggest a full brim hat with a pretty ridged brim, not those fold up jobs. Move than once I have seen that clouser coming at my face and blocked an eyeshot with the brim

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Blog Entries

Bryan,
    Do you tie your own? If so, use smaller eyes. You can even use bead-chain instead of lead "dumb-bell" eyes to make them lighter.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Hi Biot Midge,

I have not tied any yet, though my fathers day present is a started saltwater tying kit, shh, I am not supposed to know that. I will to tie some with smaller eyes.

Hey Micropteris, The stiff brim hat sounds like a good idea as well. I will have a look around.

Thanks again for all responses.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Bryan,

Adding a little weight to the fly that you are trying to cast is usually a very humbling experience to most anglers until you get the hang of it. Even those of us who have gotten use to it end up with a Clouser bruise somewhere on our body from time to time. That's where the pirate noise, AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH, comes from from---a good shot between the shoulder blades with a large Clouser. Fortunately, the hook doesn't seem to dig in very often.

You've gotten very good advice so far from everyone. I would define move to a larger rod for a start or use a lighter Clouser with beadchain eyes instead of lead ones. Try openning your loop more by swinging the rod in a larger arch. Use less force particularly on your backcast and don't try to throw the Clouser 80 feet when you are first learning---generally referred to as the "chuck and duck." Slow down your timing and wait until you feel not only the rod loading but the Clouser give that little extra pull on the backcast. The good news is that once you get the hang of it, you can really chuck a Clouser a long way. Start slowly maybe casting 20-30 feet and hang in there. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 16 June 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread