+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TFO Reels

Default TFO Reels

Anyone have any experience with the TFO Large Arbor reels, specifically the 375?

Funny you should ask. I just picked one up yesterday and it feels great. Nice strong drag, one way clicker very solid feeling reel. I mounted it on the TFO TiCr X 8wt and it is a very balanced combo. I compared it with the ross BG-4 which is $125 more and only slightly lighter (.7oz). The reason its a little heavier is that the back is solid which I prefer as I will use the rig for saltwater flats fishing. I am looking at getting the Terry Hayden no.2 for surf fishing if this one works out for me.

I have one and really like it.

4. Default

I've been using the TFO 375 for about a year and more recently acquired the TFO 340. They are identical except for line capacity. Both are handsome, are very nicely finished and have a drag system that will stop a runaway Winnebago.
    I first gave the 375 a workout last Labor Day weekend while fishing big northern coho in the waters off of Graham Island in the Queen Charlottes. The reel handled cohos up to 15-pounds without a whimper. On this trip I fished it with an 8-weight line. However, with its large capacity of the 375 I could load it with a 10-weight line and go after saltwater chinook.
    The smaller TFO 340 is a nice coho/striper reel.
    The TFO reels are not the lightest weight boys on the block but I haven't found them uncomrortable to deal with during a full day of casting and playing coho salmon. In fact, I've always found heavier reels to be more durable than those that are made overly light. Both of my TFOs are presently loaded and packed for a two-week journey to Vancouver Island in September.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

I ended up going with the 340. Haven't had an opportunity to fish it yet but for the $$ spent I'm impressed with what I got.

I'm finding the one-way bearing on my 375 a bit hard to keep from tarnishing. I've decided to keep it off the reel and submerged in light oil whenb not in use; that seems to be working so far.
    I thinik the unsealed one-way bearing is the weak spot of this otherwise great reel.

+ Reply to Thread