+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maine and New Hampshire

Default Maine and New Hampshire

I'll be going up to the Portsmouth area of New Hampshire and southern Maine this August. I'm planning on bringing my 9 wt to take a shot at the salt. Any suggestions on a location for shore fishing? or perhaps a reccomendation for someone who guides in that area?

Also what could I expect to catch that time of the year? Stripers, Blues, Albies, all of the above and then some?

Looking forward to my first taste of the salt with the fly rod.

Kevin

Stripahs in Portsmouth and all the way up through Maine around that time. Don't know any guides. sorry. I think there are some PMouth guys on the board.

Not sure about blues or albies. Don't know if they make it that far north before turnign around and heading home - but I am ignorant to these things.

I must say you need to have a beer or three at the Rusty Hammer in Portsmouth and take in a great dinner at Mimmo's in York, Maine. Also chech out the fly shop at the Kittery Trading Post just over the bridge from Portsmouth.

e

You will definately find Stripers, and Blues. Some very large fish call the Piscataqua River home that time of year. Hook up with the right guide and you might get a chance at a Schoolie Bluefin Tuna.
    If you have access to one I'd bring a ten weight. We like tossing large flies to big fish from the ledges in Southern Maine. The wind is sometimes a factor. Two good reasons why a ten is a better choice if you have one.

Give Eldredge Bros. Fly Shop in York, Maine a call for guides. [url=http://www.eldredgeflyshop.com/:25522]http://www.eldredgeflyshop.com/[/url:25522]

Must be my lucky day.. Just stopped at my local shop and picked up the latest issue of SWFF. Anentire article devoted to stripers in Maine.

Thanks to all who responded.

Kevin

Keep in touch. I got a 17' Whaler that prowl's around Saco Bay in search of the Stripers and Blues. I'd be happy to get you into some fish.

Thanks for the offer.

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread