I have to disagree with those who can't tell the difference. I would really have to say maybe they haven't been fishing enough. Just for an instance. When Orvis first came out with their 7'9" Far and Fine 5 wt It cast like a dream. Years later I was able to pick up another for my son...It just wasn't the same rod. Later I found out they changed the engineering on the blank specs. I can tell the difference blindfolded. I certainly agree their are some very inexpensive rods out their. At one of the shows before it opened I tried out a nine fot 5 wt and it was satisfactory for the price. I wanted to pick one up for my brothers son in law who was going out for the first time. As I bought it AK called me back over to the casting pool and handed me an 8 1/2 footer he was using, same Korean made Castle Arms rod and it cast like a charm and I would have to say it would be hard to tell apart from my more expensive graphite rods. Bamboo of course is another thing all together. As far as the contest referred to all I can say is maybe it was a bunch of guys who only fish a dozen times a year or less and have tried or own very few rods. Just like polls, these type of contests are usually set up to get the results they want. Not saying some wouldn't be similar, but all? No way!