I just returned from a business trip to Freeport, Bahamas. Since I had an extra day, (Saturday), I brought an eight weight rod and booked a fishing guide who was suggested by another FAOL member (thanks Keith). I was picked up at 7am by the guide service along with several other fisherman from the hotel. We all piled in a minivan and drove about 60 miles to remote fishing villiage and we were paired up with guides and boats. I was fishing by myself so it was just the guide and me in a Maverick fly fishing boat with a poling platform. We started off with a 25 min. boat ride. The scenery, wildlife and environment were awesome. The wind was blowing a little more than one would hope for fly casting and I was having a difficult time casting from the boat deck. I spooked a lot of fish by landing the fly on top of the school or by slapping the water. Other times I just could not get my fly where it needed to be. We poled a while with no success and moved to a flat where I began wading. About noon time I had worked out some of my mistakes and I was getting better at spotting fish from long distances approaching. I landed a cast just in front of a small approaching school and stripped a couple of times and a respectable sized bonefish took off with the fly and began a long run. Unfortunately for the bonefish, he fell victim to a 4 foot long shark which was lurking about. The guide spotted the shark and instructed me to retrieve the line and fish as fast as possible when we both observed the splashing headshake of the shark at the end of my line. I reeled in my line and I felt both dissappointed and excited at the same time. After moving to another wading flat I hooked into another and this time It was a total success. The fish took the fly and ran. I had good line control and brought the fish right back to me after a 5 min. battle. Another half hour later I hooked another and had the same success. I manged to catch three total and after catching two others I felt no dissapointment about havng a shark steal my first catch because after all, it was nature not a break off due to lack of finess or poor knot skills (I tied my own leaders). I did feel bad that I was unable to release the fish unharmed.

I am really glad that I siezed the opportunity to fish for the mighty bonefish. I may never have the opportunity again. It is also a right of passage for many anglers and it has boosted my confidence and skills. These are not easy fish to catch (so I have been told).