+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIO Clouser Line

Default RIO Clouser Line

Looking for some opinions from those who have used the RIO Clouser Intermediate lines, either the coldwater or tropical. Does it really help to turn over the big flies. Would be using it on my Albright XX 9wt.

-------
    Rich

I have used the intermediate Rio Tarpon line, which employs the Clouser line taper, as well as the Tropical Clouser line, and the Rio Mainstream Saltwater line which has a similar taper.. In my opinion, they work as advertised. I used a 10wt and 11 wt lines for casting flies, including some heavily weighted clousers, on hooks as large as 4/0 as long as 7" in overall length.

Tailingloop - Just curious, what kind of distance do you average with the large hook and fly? Does the pick up allow you to re-cast or do you have to strip back up to the rod to cast again? Thank you for taking the time to reply...Jonezee

With something like a 4/0 Flashtail Whistler or Deceiver, 70-80 feet in calm conditions from the deck of a boat with either the Tarpon intermediate for Tropical Floating Clouser line. Line is stripped into a Flyline Tamer with an inch or so of water in the bottom. Less distance as the wind picks up - but still 50-60 feet into a good breeze if I needed to. With the Intermediate Tarpon I had to strip it in quite a ways then roll it to the surface to pick up and recast if I let it sink at all. With the floating line I could pick up about 40-45 feet of line with a big fly (essentially the entire head of the line), more with smaller, lighter flies, less with a heavily weighted one like a 3/0 or 4/0 Clouser Minnow that had a chance to sink. Most of my actual fishing casts with these lines were in the 40-60 foot range - I didn't need to reach out farther than that while actually fishing. The lines shoot really well.

Jonezee,
    Would your question be better if you asked how far does he cast with this line vs. other lines.

Dude casts further with a pice of string than I do with a good line. That doesn't make the string better

jed

Good point Jed.

I can cast the same distances with a standard WF line but I have to cast a more open loop and more with precise timing on the cast which is a problem in the wind and/or on a rocking boat. Otherwise the fly and end of line kick over at the end of the back or foreward cast. I find that with the Clouser taper line, I can throw a tighter loop with more line speed in adverse conditions with less effort and make good presentations with greater consistency (as compared to a standard WF line). While some of my experience with these lines included some shallow saltwater flats situations, most of it was on deeper estuary and inshore waters where winds often kicked up a nice little swell - so I was not casting from a nice stable platform.

Thanks all, I appreciate the reply and info.

I agrre about the Dude's casting, if not on the water and at a fly shop he has to dodge traffic.

I would be thrilled and orgazmic to cast 1/2 the distance and he doesn't work up a sweat or throw his shoulder out.

deanna Iv'e been punching my hand and its starting to work

I like all the Rio lines I have and I butcher them (Dirt,grime) and they hold up

I don't mean to get spiritual or anything but, God Bless the Dude and Deanna,

The Geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Geez - I am preparing a "Grotto" on the back 40 acres of my farm to enshrine the Dude and bow to him daily in reverence of his holy casting ability and performance praised across the land. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, least we wauf off into eternity and forget all who have cast before us. Let them cast in peace. If the Mahatma Dude ever visits Michigan, we will carve out a slice of a bank on the AuSable holy water and pronounce it "The Dude Was Here" a proclamation. What a wonder to live in a time of the great one. Thank you again Geezer, I will sleep well tonight.
    "Not responsible for any wear and tear on the Dude from over zealus remarks and praise"

+ Reply to Thread