I have noticed that when someone expresses an interest in begining to saltwater fish, JC makes a point of relaying to the newbe that it is imperative that they know how to double haul.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you can not DOUBLE-HAUL really good... LEARN NOW.

If there is some part of 'learn' or 'now' that you don't understand,,, email me and I 'll try to explain.
Serousley... you must have it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
He has expressed his reasons in the past and they are valid.
Without starting some pi$$ing contest or a mine is bigger than yours, I would like to know what kind of distance you all actually cast in your normal fishing day.

I am a self taught caster. I single haul without thinking, but if I want to double haul I have to concentrate. Even then ....
I don't own any fancy rods, my 10wt St Croix Legend (no ultra, no super duper) was $110.
Standing on a beach a normal cast for me will hit 70-75 feet.
If all the stars are in alinement, and I do every thing right,I can throw a whole 90' line.. no more
Most days I'm way short of this.
I still do alright and I enjoy my time on the water. While sometimes I would like to be able to cast as far as the guys with the big meat rods, that's not why I'm out there.

------------------
"The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year"
Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 03 April 2006).]