+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lessons from an FFF certified instructor

Default lessons from an FFF certified instructor

How much to FFF certified casting instructors charge for lessons? Any do it for free? How much repeat business is done?
    Just wondering if being an FFF instructor changes how often a student comes back for follow up lessons as opposed to a non certified instructor. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

------------------
    dw

'Don't know, what you don't know.'

Hi dwoffroad,

I'm a certified FFF instructor and that fact has nothing to do with whether I charge for lessons or not. Usually I get repeat customers because they feel the instruction I offer is of value to them not because I'm a certified instructor. Yes, some of the knowledge I have is the result of the certification program. On the other hand a lot of my teaching skills come from experiences learned away from the FFF and its programs. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:968eb]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:968eb]

Thanks for the info, Al. So is it safe to say that if a student were to take 5 lessons from you before you were FFF certified, it doesn't mean that the same student would learn the same skills in fewer lessons after you become certified? And the rate you charge doesn't change? I had the notion that learning from an FFF instructor would cost more and require fewer lessons. I was thinking about becoming certified and offering lessons as an extension of the hobby. If I offered them for free, would that have a negative impact on the FFF community of instructors? Kind of like if GM were to start giving away their Cadillacs to any one who wanted one - would people's opinion of Cadillacs change? Why would they give them away unless they are very poor quality?
    Does that make any sense?

------------------
    dw

'Don't know, what you don't know.'

IMHO Al, Extremely well put!

When I got back into fly fishing, years after learning as a kid, I took a few free lessons from a man at a local fly shop. I have no idea if he was FFF certified or not, but he taught me a whole lot very quickly. He was great, and I know he was responsible for my renewed enthusiasm for the sport. Giving away lessons to promote the sport is not the same as giving away free caddys, nor does it lessen the value of the lesson.
    Bill

Bill,

I agree, Giving away Caddies isn't the same thing (market perception, prestige etc...) A smart car dealer WOULD give away cars and open a gas station.

Many fine shops "give away" services, deals etc. Goes with nurturing a happy and loyal client. Win/win stuation for clients and shops.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

A good instructor is a good instructor, sending the FFF a check every year won't make him any better.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Dear dwoffroad, as with any new certification or licensing proceedure, the applicant that passes is a beginner as far as instructional experience is concerned. (Remember the day you received your drivers license? you could drive but could you teach driving to someone else?) But, the fact that they are FFF Certified should gaurantee to the student that the information taught is correct and understood. The purpose of the program is to standardize fly casting information and teaching techniques. I teach the FFF Casting Instructor Certification course and find that many applicants do not have the casting skills to pass the test because they do not have the knowledge on the mechanics of fly casting. Others have the casting skills but no knowledge of the Teaching Process, the Learning Process, Effective Communication or Methods of Instruction. I charge $50 per session. The session may be an hour, sometimes less depending on meeting the students goals. I have a lot of repeat students, progressing with their casting skills. Purebs received a free lesson from me last year at the Fish-In in Florida and may be able to offer some input on the quality of his first lessons compared to mine? May I also state that I hold 3 Federal Instructors Certificates and have been an instructor for 30+ years. In preparing yourself to take the Certification, you will become a better caster. You must want to teach for the love of teaching and enjoyment. Giving these skills away for free shows a lack of professionalism to many seeking instruction. Good luck in your venture, Mike

Sorry Mike, have to disagree with you on your very last statement:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>
    Giving these skills away for free shows a lack of professionalism to many seeking instruction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or should FAOL be charging everyone to come here? We give it away because we CAN.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I offer a free clinic every year, I enjoy teaching. My clinics also go for alot more then $50. I'm not FFF certified and don't care to be. I'm not in it for the money. I consider myself a very good teacher and I am a professional caster, having won many medals in competion. All getting certified can do for me is give me a referral if someone contacts them looking for a local instructor.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread