+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lessons from an FFF certified instructor

One time I was fishing on a river that was right up against a road and a guy on a Harley stopped out of pure disgust and gave me some unsolicited but very appreciated and needed instruction. He turned out to be a local guide and I offered to tip him or even buy him a beer, but he replied that even lawyers take on Pro Bono work....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ;831
    One time I was fishing on a river that was right up against a road and a guy on a Harley stopped out of pure disgust and gave me some unsolicited but very appreciated and needed instruction. He turned out to be a local guide and I offered to tip him or even buy him a beer, but he replied that even lawyers take on Pro Bono work....
    I had the very similar experience years ago at the Golden gate casting club, The gentlemen turned out to be Mel Krieger that was thirty five years ago.. I will always remember what he advised me and to this day I carry that thought with me to the river.Now days I laugh when I think of it..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Many, many years ago, on an isolated tiny trout stream, a gentleman and I had a chance meeting ... he going one way, I the other, through the willows... I took a double take, and had to apologise for laughing. I told him he looked just like someone I'd not had the privilege of ever meeting by the name of Al Campbell. He laughed and said, well now you have. He was guiding a couple people up there, and instantly gathered Cary and me into hs group. He took us to all kinds of waters that were new to us, and we had a ball! Never a charge. Still laugh when I think of following him, at breakneck speed, along the dirt roads up there! Dust rolling in huge clouds, and his silly dog hanging out the window of his truck, ears flapping in the wind. I really miss him.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread