Dear dwoffroad, as with any new certification or licensing proceedure, the applicant that passes is a beginner as far as instructional experience is concerned. (Remember the day you received your drivers license? you could drive but could you teach driving to someone else?) But, the fact that they are FFF Certified should gaurantee to the student that the information taught is correct and understood. The purpose of the program is to standardize fly casting information and teaching techniques. I teach the FFF Casting Instructor Certification course and find that many applicants do not have the casting skills to pass the test because they do not have the knowledge on the mechanics of fly casting. Others have the casting skills but no knowledge of the Teaching Process, the Learning Process, Effective Communication or Methods of Instruction. I charge $50 per session. The session may be an hour, sometimes less depending on meeting the students goals. I have a lot of repeat students, progressing with their casting skills. Purebs received a free lesson from me last year at the Fish-In in Florida and may be able to offer some input on the quality of his first lessons compared to mine? May I also state that I hold 3 Federal Instructors Certificates and have been an instructor for 30+ years. In preparing yourself to take the Certification, you will become a better caster. You must want to teach for the love of teaching and enjoyment. Giving these skills away for free shows a lack of professionalism to many seeking instruction. Good luck in your venture, Mike