+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida Fish-in

Default Florida Fish-in

Hello Everyone;

Well Sue and I made it down for one afternoon of Fish-in Activities before my side effects caught up with me and I had to spend the rest of the weekend in a place no one should spend a beautiful weekend.

I did manage to "catch" one beauty. [url=http://www.sunshine-computer.com/faol/dolphin%203-3-2006.jpg:b2802]http://www.sunshine-computer.com/faol/dolphin%203-3-2006.jpg[/url:b2802]

I also have some pictures of the pirates with the exception of the Tidy's they must be ghost because I did not capture them, (I am not sure they had shown up before I quit shooting. I got tired and had to take a break.

We all went to dinner, Saltydancindave made reservations in less than 20 minutes for 12 at a place where the whole time we were there the traffic was amazing. (money was being made at the resturant in question)
    Good food better company and a lot of fun was had that night. I had made plans to meet up with some of the pirates and before I got home (45 minute drive) I was sick.

But I do not regret the time spent with my old friends, and my new friends.

Everyone should congrat Les, he has a beautifu picture that is being published. It was funny there were almost as many photographers there as fly fishers. Les, Ken and I discussed as much photography as we did fishing. (I thought I made a great deal when I saved almost $1300.00 on a lens.
    Les save considerable more on his.) I was so jealous of his photo equipment.

Diane broke out her 12 foot rod and show us how to cast it. The Flats Dude gave a demo on casting a 12 weight and the really nice old guy stopped his car in the road and gave the dude a few hints on casting. Now mind you the Dude has just tossed the line and maybe a few inches of backing. But the old gentleman had words of wisdom to impart and the dude took it with a huge smile. We all had a laugh and more than a few teases with the Dude.

We all met up at this really nice Fly Fishing store. Casey Key Anglers & Outfitters the young man running the store came out and show us how to cast this 12 wt rod that the Dude was playing with. Dude caught a light pole, I have photos of the catch but was not quick enough to get a pic of the release. Anyway this young man cast this 12 wt into the backing without a double haul and made it look easy. It was a new TFO rod. But I asked him how he made it look so easy to cast that into the backing with out a double haul. He told me that the TFO rod was the only one he could cast all the line out without a double haul. It was a thing of beauty to watch him make one false cast and then shoot the line to the end. A thing of beauty, that demo from the Dude and this young man was worth the trip for me. But all of you know I love to fish with the Dude. He is a lot of fun even if you are not fishing.

I'll close for now since this is becoming a book. But we had a wonderful time and really would like to thank Dave aka Saltydancindave for all the effort and time he put into this fish-in. He made a fish-in packet with charts and many books for us to use. He did a super job as host.

Looking forward to the secret meetings this year.
    Sorry I did not get to see everyone.

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 06 March 2006).]

Blog Entries

thank you for the update and the lovely photo as well as its just derned good to hear from ya Harold!

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:6286c]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:6286c]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Harold,

It is good to hear you and Sue got to get in on the festivities. Thanks to you the Florida Fish In first took place 3 years ago and I am very happy to see it continuing. I just wish I could have been there this year, but the change of dates made it diffcult. Hopefully I can get down to one of your secret meetings and visit with ya'll.

Keep your spirits up and I hope you feel better soon.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:a0eb1]FlyReelDots.com[/url:a0eb1]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Happy you could get out and join the Fish-In activities you originated ! Liked some of the inside information you had, such as your birthday & the Flats Dude are the same day ! Regret that you & Sue didn't get to fish, as I was going to pass along the recent casting lessons just learned at the Get Lefty Day for CHFF. Use the thumb on the casting hand as the directional guide on the back of the rod cork & keep the elbow at a position as if it were resting on a shelf to improve casting. Submit your pictures, as it would clarify some of my daily recollections of the activities everyone enjoyed !

+ Reply to Thread