+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable Kayak?

Default Inflatable Kayak?

I have been following the discussion about kayakfishing. I have a pontoonboat, but I am looking for an inflatable kayak that can be used in the Tampa bay area or other places. It must be packable and light to be brought as luggage on the plane. Any recomendations?

A lady I worked with was very thrilled that she and her husband had purchased an inflatable Eagle. Until they used it the first time. They were very disapointed with it after the first use. She said it would get you on the water but that would be about all you could say about it. It was very slow and required a great deal of effort to paddle. I'm not sure what they expected but you might say they were underwelmed.

Rusty <><

------------------
    "PC" is for Plant City not Politically Correct. if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Bendik:

Check this site out. My neighbor has one of these and likes it just fine. Can't say that I have been on it, but I do own a Bik Yak and think it is sweet.
    [url=http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/kayaks/yakka_range.php?lang=us#:7248d]http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/kayaks/yakka_range.php?lang=us#[/url:7248d]

The woman in the ad does not come with this inflatable kayak, though I am fairly certain there are other places that you can purchase an inflatable woman.

e

Hey Ben,

One of our sponsors has some good looking inflatable kayaks and last year gave
    one to a FAOL member in the monthly drawings. You might want to touch base with
    them for more info on the inflatables. [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/about/kayakproshop/:d0560]http://flyanglersonline.com/about/kayakproshop/[/url:d0560]
    Warm regards, Jim

Jim Hatch beat me to it....check 'em out!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I am not a big fan of inflatable kayaks, but one should work OK. The only ones I've seen are Sevylor. My major problem with them in the Tampa Bay area is oyster bars. I've got some major scars on the bottom of my kayak from them. They could probably shred an inflatable.

When are you going to be in Tampa? There is a large kayak fishing contengent here. You may want to check out
    paddle-fishing.com
    It is a local kayak fishing site. There is a destinations section that gives good information on good spots to launch. There is also a forum where you could ask questions. If you don't want to mess with an inflatable, there are some good kayak shops locally that rent kayaks for fishing.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Thank you for all the information. I am going to stay in the area from March 15th till April 12th. My wife would probably love the idea of renting instead of buying.
    I have one more month to think about it.

If you are going to get here March 15, you may want to check out the Osprey Bay No Motor Tournament on March 25. There are usually about 100 kayak fishermen in it. Even if you don't fish it the party afterwards is worth a visit. Here is a link:
    [url=http://www.ospreybay.com/no_motor_tournament.htm:ffaa8]http://www.ospreybay.com/no_motor_tournament.htm[/url:ffaa8]

They also rent fishing kayaks at reasonable prices. Keep in touch, we may be able to hook up when you get here.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

bendik

I fish Tampa bay all the time and the time you are going to be here is going to be windy, just stay close to the flats and you should be ok... Tera Ceia bay is just south of Tampa bay in fact they share the same water. But Tera Ceia is sheltered because it is much smaller.. I would also take Dunfly's advice and rent a kayak instead of buying, there are way too many sharp places you will want to fish. I would venture to say if the oyster bar is showing fish it. If you do not see one then you will run into it. (I wish they could make knives as sharp as oyster shells.) A lot of our fish love the oyster beds. Also you will want to fish under the skyway if they let you this year.

If you are going to fish Tampa Bay let us know, the pirates haunt Tampa Bay all the time, Slenon, Dunfly, Purebs, me, and a bunch of others like the fishing. Let us know more about when you can fish and maybe we can have a secret pirate meeting just in your honor... It does not take much to get us to want to fish or hang around. Just south of Tampa Bay and right on Tera Ceia is a great place to eat.

Bring your camera, Tampa Bay is one of the most beautiful places to shoot. I am a photographer also and if you need to borrow a tripod ( I know your fishing stuff is going to take up 1/2 the plane) let me know.

Let us know if you need anything. Our fish in is the week before you get here, now that is a shame.

Where will you be staying?

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 08 February 2006).]

This my third stay with my family in the area. I have mainly be wading out Ft Desoto Park and around Clearwater Beach. This time I want explore another way fishing the area.This time we are staying in St. Petes Beach. When it comes to photgraphy, that is what I make my living out from. I wish I could attend the fishi-in. Originally I had planned to go to Islomorada that week. Everything was booked. unfortunately something came up and I had to postpone this week and leave Norway on March 14th instead.if we could connect, that would be great.

+ Reply to Thread