+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lines for salt

Default Lines for salt

I am planning a trip to Narragansett RI this Spring or Fall and would appreciate any suggestions for lines. I'll be fishing from a boat in the Bay and either fishing structure or into schools of Blues. I'll be taking Sage rods (RPLXI 9' 9wt and a 9' 10wt). I did try an Orvis Depth Charge and couldn't quite get the hang of the shooting head. Thanks for your help Dave

JC
    I can double haul Under good conditions (little wind) Imight reach 90' more likely 75 to 80.
    Dave

Spike,

If I had to choose only one line it would be an intermediate sinking line. Fishing for Blues is often top water action and in an intermediate line cast and the quickly retrieved will not sink very far. For structure it is often near the surface or within 10 feet of the surface and an intermediate line will work there also. You may have to wait a long time to get down a full 10' but the intermediate line is what can do it all. My general preference is an intermediate and a full sinking line, using the intermediate most of the time and then the sinking when I need to get down deep.

As for preferences, the Sci Angler Striper line is nice and so is the Cortland lines. As it looks like a one time deal or maybe once a year kind of deal you might look at REI for some discounted lines. They had some Cortland and Orvis lines that were a generation old, but that's not bad in an industry that brings out new everything once a year.

As for casting 90', I can't but don't tell the fish 'cause they will stop getting caught if you do.

jed

Why would he need to double-haul or cast 90ft?

------------------
    Ed Mercado
    [url=http://www.mercconsulting.com:d8105]http://www.mercconsulting.com[/url:d8105]
    Web Design for the Treasure Coast.

you won't need to cast very far in a boat. how deep is the water? if not very deep, go with a clear intermediate. if the water is deep, you'll need a fast sinker.

Mr Castwell, I don't mean any disrespect but I have to agree with FloridaFlyer and Jed about the double haul and 90'. This seems to be something that you often post when people are asking questions about salt fishing. And frankly it comes off like some bar that one must reach or why bother. Yes ther are times when a 90' cast would be appropriate but we do catch fish closer than that and still have fun. Jack

"When the wind is in your face the fish are at your feet"
    Lou Tabory

I like a floating line and a full sink.
    Most people fish an intermediate rather the the floater. A matter of choice.
    I think a lot of people try to cast too heavy of an intergrated line( the depth charge), you might want to try a lighter one.
    The cheaper full sink has always been good enough for me.

------------------
    I never lost a little fish
    yes, I'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

well, to be a pirate you have to cast 90 ft. but the pirates will make exceptions and accept you in the salt water brother hood in the following two cases:

1. you can't cast 90 feet because you have a hook for a hand

2. you can't cast 90 ft. but you still have a lot of fun fishing

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 17 February 2006).]

D. Micus.................
    You forgot condition #3.
    Your willing to bring the booze.
    FFF Life Member #22

The double haul question from is not a smart shot fom JC.

We've seen just too many folks so disappointed at their first saltwater trips because between the wind, unfamiliarity with heavier rods they can't produce a decent cast on demand. Some guides have gotten to the point they make you pass their casting qualifications before they even put you in their boat.

If you want to fish saltwater, learn to cast.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread