+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak on the fly info

Default Kayak on the fly info

Gil and Mr. Micus have been helping me on this and I would like to hear from other Kayak fisherman. I will use the yak for lakes, rivers, ponds, and saltwater in that order. I will overnight camp also.

Redfish 14
    Tarpon 14

I have narrowed it down to the above, pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
    Philip

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 25 January 2006).]
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Old Geezer,
    So you don't feel ignored, I am not familiar with those 'yaks so I can't advise. My suggestion would be a Pungo, 12 or 14'. The 12' is usually long enough for stability in most lakes or the ocean and more maneuverable in smaller waters.

I use my 12' Pungo mostly on rivers and ponds and then in the salt and on lakes. I had a 14' Old Town but found it too hard to steer and the extra stability in the ocean was negligable.

Is there a place where you can try one out. That can make a difference, especially concerning the seat and the area in the cockpit.

Hope I did not muddy the waters too much.

jed

Jed, thanks buddy. I will be yaking at the fish-in. Michele likes the canoes and wants some space from me and I don't care for the single solo or the 18 fts we have for the salt. Gill and Dave have sucked me in and I am looking forward to getting out in one.

When I buy one I want to do it right the 1st time. I know I'll load it up with finder gps combo, rudder, holders, anchor etc.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

geezer - I know lots of people that are loyal tarpon fans
    they seem very similar to my OK prowler which I like very much - however, the redfish seems to be a bit wider and has a larger capacity. otherwise they seem quite similar to me without having ever used either.

------------------
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!"
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Geezer,

There is a web site called [url=http://www.paddle-fishing.com.:41380]www.paddle-fishing.com.[/url:41380] Do use the dash in between. That is just what the site is about, fishing from a yak. One of the countries best yak fishing suppliers is up there in Jersey near you too. the link to them should be on that site. before I went over to the dark side my son and I fished from a canoe. Our own Fl_Skibum posts on paddle-fishing as well.
    I think the difference between the Redfish and the Tarpon depends on what you need... speed or stability.

Rusty <><

------------------
    "PC" is for Plant City not Politically Correct. if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Thanks for the input. I like to stand, so a flat bottom without the ridges is desireable. Stability is #1 , speed,enough that I don't have a heart attack fighting a stong wind and current getting back.

Michel and I where going to fish the edge of this rapids in the New River. The river won.

Philip

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.

When stocking up don't forget the butane single burner stove and french press coffee pot. Because I am roughing it when I kayak I bring pre-ground coffee. A coffee grinder when kayaking is over the top, don't you think. You have GOT to have good coffee when kayaking

jed

When we do our fishing/camping we have everything but the kitchen sink. Michele dehydrates all the food and when she adds water its a meal fit for a king. 1 year I lugged a 8" Meade Schmidt Cassegrain telescope and 75Lb tri pod 3 portages so we could enjoy the evening constalations and planets up in Canada. It was fantastic.

Philip

------------------

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Hey Philip,

If you're not in any real hurry to buy, and since you've narrowed it down to those two, you are more than welcome to test drive my T-120 without rudder or the T-140 with rudder for a day when you come down.

Then we'll find a place to rent you a Redfish or Marquesa.

Gil
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Gil, thanks for the offer and all your help in research. It's nice to know I have an option. You lead and I'll follow.

Philip

------------------

+ Reply to Thread