+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak on the fly info

Caught many a red in my heritage, although not the most popular.

[url=http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/433b8f40z6f192393/4afc/__tn_/f881.jpg?ph4wF3DBheka.u1n:abe62]http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/433b8f40z6f192393/4afc/__tn_/f881.jpg?ph4wF3DBheka.u1n[/url:abe62]

saw the new 16' hobie fisherman.....very nice fishing yak. I own 4 kayaks already so a 5th would be hard to justify but that would be one I would really consider myself.

Heritage Nomad II
    heritage Sea Dart
    Kiwi Stealth electric powered
    Mokia jet powered

Well, it looks like the Hobie Quest in Orange might be the way to go. Its 10 lbs lighter before I load it up with goodies

Anyone have one and what is your experience.

Thanks all

Philip

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I don't own one Philip, but since no one responded...

I own an orange Tarpon 160. So the color you chose is good .

I looked at the Quest, the length is good, I like the fact it doesn't have molded foot wells, and I have heard good things about the hatch design.

Are you getting it with a rudder?

Good luck with it and I hope to see you out on the water.

-Phil

Yes Phil I am getting the gas pedal rudder system, and a LowranceM56 FFinder/GPS combo and a Scotty power lock. The Quest Fisherman has allot of storage and I like the cart wheel system for lugging to the launch site.

I agrre about the foot braces, I like to stand from time to time.

Regards

Philip

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

If stability is #1 then I'm gonna throw out another name you may be interested in. The Ocean Kayak Drifter may be a great option for ya. Speed isn't great, but its not bad. You can't beat the stability with anything else out on the water.

I currently fish with many other fine older fellas who practiced a bit and can now stand comfortably in moving water on their drifters. The price (and stability) is MUCH better than the tarpons or just about anything else for that matter. There is AMPLE deckspace on this boat to add all sorts of gizmo's if your heart so desires. I don't know anyone who is unhappy with thier purchase of an OK Drifter. So this was just another option to look at, so by all means check it out.

PiKaap, thanks for the reply to my post, I looked at the drifter. The molded foot wells turned me off, its a nice yak and others I liked had the same molded foot wells. I want a flat bottom.

Thanks again

Philip

------------------

Old Geezer,

If you are "old", as I am, it is important to consider the fact that it is a lot easier to get on and off a sit on top (SOT) kayak than it is to get in and out of a sit in kayak (SINK). Once in a SINK you are pretty much stationary untill you get out, the SOT it is easy to move around on and relieve that sore cheek. I have a SOT Tarpon 160i and usually sit sidesaddle if I am going to fish in one spot for a while, I also sit straddling the yak.

A long yak is faster and tracks straighter and paddles easier than a short yak, the short yak is more nimble and excells on rivers, small ponds and lakes.

A SOT is a wet ride but you sit a bit higher over the water, while the SINK is "dry" and you sit much lower in the water (casting distance comes into play).

The SOT has more avaliable space on which to hang gear. It is generaly the choice of the fisherman. The wilderness Systems Tarpons and the Hobie Adventures have been designed with the fishermans needs in mind. I would recomend either one.

As with anything, you should do your homework and test drive before you buy.

You can get some ideas by surfing these websites, go to the photo galleries to see what can be done.
    [url=http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com:ef27b]http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com[/url:ef27b]
    [url=http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com:ef27b]http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com[/url:ef27b]

Enjoy what ever you finally decide on. Kayak fishing is lots of fun.

Ct Don

Randy

The heritage is a great boat go with the Marquesa instead of the Redfish same boat without factory placed rod holders. My shops will rig it the way you want it and the price my even be less.

+ Reply to Thread