Howdy folks. I hope the holidays have been good to you. They have been interesting for me. Not bad, mind you, but not good either... Except for yesterday.

I found my self near one of the mega outdoor stores in Orlando. I won't say which, but I've been told that BASS PRO's like to SHOP there.

Normally I support the smaller, mom & pop shops, but in Orlando there aren't any. If it wasn't for this place there would be nothing. So I am glad they are here.

I strolled around their fly fishing department and looked at all the stuff I shouldn't buy and the stuff I couldn't buy. There was only one person minding the shop, a kid no more than eighteen. He was busy explaining certain aspects of angling with a fly to a mother and her young teen son. It seems the boy got a fly fishing set for Christmas and no one in the family knows how to use it, obviously a gift from a more enlightened relative.

I couldn't help but overhear the lessons being given. That's not true. I was purposely listening to see if the kid behind the counter knew his stuff. He didn't. Not even close.

I had to intervene. I excused the interruption and introduced myself, then commenced to give my opinion on their fly selection which they where discussing at the time.

The sales kid had handed them a bunch of deer hair bugs informing them that these where made specifically for bass. I told them it was true, and it's arguably the most fun way to go, but it's not the best fly to try and toss as a beginner. After a quick explanation I introduced then to the venerable wooly bugger.

Clich?, I know, but is there a better all purpose fly? Besides I explained, if the bass aren't interested you can always go after the bluegills, a more likely first fish.

Well, one thing led to another, then another; I ended up not only explaining every piece of equipment, but I took the boy outside to give him his first casting lesson. Something the sales kid didn't know how to do either. I swear he said the shorter rods are better because you can throw "it" further. Huh?

After a basic intro and a couple of backcasts and forward casts I told him to go and practice on his lawn. We said goodbye and I left feeling better than I have in a long time.

It's true it better to give than to receive, but more so when what you give is of yourself.

So, go out and teach a kid to fish.

Happy Holidays and a Fantastic New Year.

------------------
Ed Mercado
[url=http://www.mercconsulting.com:2e802]http://www.mercconsulting.com[/url:2e802]
Web Design for the Treasure Coast.