+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Advice

Default Mexico Advice

I am travelling to Mexico, South of Cancun in a couple of weeks. I have experience flyfishing trout and smallmouth bass but am a novice in saltwater. Is it possible to get any action flyfishing on my own with a kayak?

My advice is don't drink the water - and that includes ice.

About 5 hours south of Cancun is Ascention Bay. This is a marvelous and wonderful remote place to fish for bones and permit.

I dont know if you could "see" bones that easy sitting close to the water in a yak. It may be worth you time to see if you could hire a guide for a day to run you out on those huge flats out there. There are a few "lodges" down there. I have used Let it be fly fish inn, with good results.

Bring crazy charlies, small crabs, gotchas and similar flys on 6 or 8's. Most of the fish are in the 2-4 lbs range so you can probably use an 8 weight and not get into to much trouble.

Good luck and have fun

Larry

[url=http://www.jackgartside.com/art_circus.htm:55bb8]http://www.jackgartside.com/art_circus.htm[/url:55bb8]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

dudley..............
    You've got to love Gartside. "The One And Only."
    FFF Life Member #22

Thanks for the responses. I'm still uncertain if I will go it alone or hire a guide. The Gartside article may have inspired a more adventurous approach.

Where will you be south of Cancun?

I disagree with JC. I went out in the Bahamas by myself (wish I could have afforded and had the time for a guide) and was able to find some bones and actually cast to them. I am not a great caster and I could not get my casts out to them in the wind but came close and loved every minute of them. Caught zero and had a wonderful time.

jed

I will be in Riviera Maya. I appreciate the sentiments Jed. My casting is fair and I'm not so greedy for fish that I won't enjoy learning the hard way.

Jed I'll give the nod to JC, we caught lots of bones in Eleuthera, but if I could double haul it would have been a killer on the early morning or late evening flats.

Double haul is the way to go and I will improve this year. I can't blame the rod, a little practice in the warm weather will be in order this year. The wind rarely stops on the beaches.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread