+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Etiquette

Default Etiquette

This was the first year I had done any salt water fly fishing. I had spent a few weekends down on some tidal creeks in Cape Cod. I met some nice people and had a great time. Being new I generally made way for more experienced fisherpeople, watching trying to learn. The last weekend I went, I got to what had become my usual spot at the end of a long sand bar right at the mouth of the creek. The tide was slack, but just about to turn, so I cast a few times, then stood and waited for things to pick up. as I am standing there two guys come along, wade past me, and start fishing the area where I was standing. They worked the whole area pretty fast, yelling back and forth, screaming "Fish On" when ever they hooked up with any thing, be it fish or just flotsam. I thought it was obvious that I was fishig this spot, it's not that big, and as the tide comes in the area you can wade gets smaller and smaller. They fished for about a half hour, then left only to appear across from the new spot I had moved to a short time later. I ended up leaving in digust. Is this typical??I'm not as familliar with the rules on salt water, but on river fishing this would be a definite no-no.

Not on my salt water. People can be rude anywhere. I am sorry you had to meet some of them. I have fished the salt water side by side with people before and felt like I had the salt to my self. I have also fished the salt and have someone 150 yards away destroy the day........ We have too many rude people in this day and age. There is nothing you can do that is going to change them. Just cherish the ones that make your day and try to get over the ones that ruin it...

Keep trying you will find the good ones.

Harold

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Catch me on the right day and I walk off ... catch me on the wrong day and all I need is one Cherry Bomb!!! The ones with the water proof fuses. After one of those ... nobody fishes that spot. Not for a while anyway.

I have to get them in Georgia or Alabama though. Fireworks are illegal here in Florida.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Not many places to get them here in Ga. Either. I go right across the border to Chatanooga. There are 4 or 5 huge Fireworks stores right oputside town that are open year-round! They are on I-24 just East of the Nickajack Dam.

Semper Fi!

Welcome to the wonderful world of hardcore gorilla saltwater fishing! I live in a high population area and things can and do get crazy.

Stand on the beach, feet in the water changing a fly and have someone wade into the water in front of you and start fishing.

Wait until you experience your first all out blitz. I swear to you, men grow out of the sand. Men with waders will be standing hip deep in the waves, men in short boots will be on the waters edge, men in sneakers will be standing on the sand. All of the above will be casting over the other guys. Oh, by the way men with fish on will be running down the beach screaming.

People do lose there mind. I have had a man literally run into my back cast (I use bright yellow line)and ripped the rod out of his hands. Your heart goes into your throat figuring you have just planted a 1/0 deep into somebody. (yes I was watching my backcast).

It's not alway crazy but it can be.

Good luck and stay safe.

Larry

I have seen it happen too often that others don't respect your space. Mostly I think it is people who are casual fishermen and try the salt once a year on vacation and/or have no experience to guide them. Home fishing is often a dock lined with other fishermen or a boat where space is much less of an issue. Often a word or two will help them get settled in to sharing the space.

There is the occaisional veteran fisherman who thinks he is hot stuff and is therefore entitled to every inch of beach he desires. It's not worth the fight to try and dissuade him.

Come a blitz and all bets are off. It happens just as Larry says. People forget all sense of decorum and reality is thrown out the window.

jed

+ Reply to Thread