+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which reel would you buy?

Default Which reel would you buy?

I'm looking forward to expanding my FF horizons and taking on saltwater. I have a couple of rods that I can start off with (I'm sure I'll need more....) but reels are a different matter. The three names that keep coming up are Ross, Tibor and Abel.

I expect to fish for bonefish, redfish, and small tarpon.

What experience have you had with reels - and what would you recommend?

Thanks

I think all are fine, but a bit costly. If you've got the clink buy one of each. If not there are plenty of decent reels you can look at from other companies.

I have both Tibor and Abel reels and they are fantastic reels. You won't go wrong with either one of them. If you want to get into Saltwater fly fishing for a bit less money, you might consider the J. Austin Forbes Tarpon reel on sale at Overstock.com for $189 down from the list of $534. I have two J Austin Forbes reels and they are very well made and at that price, you can hardly go wrong. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Don't forget about the Nautilus reels from Old Florida.
    [url=http://nautilusreels.com/:e8270]http://nautilusreels.com/[/url:e8270]

I have had a Ross Cimmaron for years -and it has done great on Bonefish, and baby tarpon, it was well worth the money shelled out on it, though my wallet hurt for awhile after buying it.

Your three choices are all excellent reel manufacturers. I personally use Abel reels and find their quality, construction and performance second to none. Having just recently moved from the northeast to Florida I am pretty much all set up to fish saltwater. The thing I wish I had been more cautious with was putting my reels down on rocky river banks and nicking the anodized finish. The finish is what protects the base aluminum from corrosion in salt water. I have since spot protected these nicks with fingernail polish. There is a new reel on the market I read about in one of the fly fishing mags with a type 3 anodized, the hardest anodizing finish. You might consider looking at it. Unfortunetly I can't seem to find it again or I would mention it. It was in a very recent issue of the mag though. Anyway if you stick with your three choices you can't go wrong.

I just found the reel I mentioned in my above post. They are Hayden TFO reels available thru Temple Fork Outfitters. Price is less than Abel at $349 for a size 1 for 9 weights. Again might be worth at look. [url=http://www.templeforkflyrods.com:c8d2f]www.templeforkflyrods.com[/url:c8d2f]

Ross Canyon Big Game...

I fish the 4,5 and 6. True large arbor, stop-a-truck drag with low start-up inertia, excellent reputation and customer service. Compared with the Tibor and Abel, it is a real "value" reel. And, depending upon size, it is in the same price range as the imported TFO's.

Thanks all for your input.

JC, your article made me laugh. I gave up friends input for the very reason you mentioned. Likewise most stores - look at the logos on their door or window and you know what they will think is best. As for cost - many, many years ago a family friend once said (in regards to purchasing "expensive" hunting and fishing equipment) "You can always make another $20." (Adjusted for inflation, that would be better than $100 now.) I thought he was crazy - and reckless with his money then. I think more like that now.......

Precisely why I came here.... more trustworthy experience and input than I can find anywhere else.

I appreciate good equipment that performs well, and gives me pleasure to own. It has to satisfy both the heart and the head.

From the little bit of saltwater knowledge I have, I know the reel's drag and resistance to corrosion are important. I'm not clear if it should have a cork drag - or something else.

So with all that said, what other reels should I consider?

Thanks again.

More reels -

From personal experience, in addition to Tibor, Abel, and Ross, my G. Loomis and Teton reels have been have been very reliable.

Friends and aquaintances with much more time on the water than I have also had a lot of success with Billy Pate, Islander, Hayden, Charelton (no longer made), Bauer, and Redington Brakewater.

As for cork vs. synthetic drags - excellent reels are made with either type, though we seem to find cork used more often in high end reels.

+ Reply to Thread