+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Micro..epo.. Jed

Default Micro..epo.. Jed

The fat lady has not sung.
    Take a look at the fishing reports on
    Kenny A's web site
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

With a little knowledge the fat lady never stops singing. The Thames river is notorious for winter hold overs and there are places on the Cape as well.

I am being forced to visit with friends on Cape May in NJ during the coming weekend. Hopefully I will be able to visit with the same fine fish that I played with all summer long in New England. Yesterday my wife asked me if I was going to bring my fshing gear along. I gave her a look indicating that that was as foolish a question as she ever asked. I told her I planned on taking one morning to fish. She said ONE morning, and I agreed. So That's my next shot at the Striper of Stripers, one big enough to feed 25 people. Of course I'd be happy with one or two schoolies or even a nice morning casting into the surf.

Thanks for the update. I may get an early day in December if the fishing is still holding. This has been a very late year, lucky for us.

PS The article on the main page about flyfishing the surf is a great one. Worth a read for anyone who fishes the surf from shore.

jed

I live nearby the Thames. In fact when I worked at Mohegen Sun, which is right on the river, I would fish there all the time.
    The winter holdover fish can be very lethargic, and more are caught by being snagged than lip caught.
    Most folk fish jigs deep and slow, I guess you could do that with a fly rod if you wanted.
    Also, the best fish are caught at night, very cold.
    Right now there is fish in the river but not as many as past years. Blues too.
    The time to fish the Thames is in the early spring when the flats start to warm. The huge winter school starts to spread out and all hell breaks loose. When you read reports that a few fish are being caught at RI's west wall, the Thames is boiling.

------------------
    # Com'on baby, EVERYBODY do the Bimini Twist #

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 21 November 2005).]

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 21 November 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

sssshhhhh. Don't tell anyone. Went for a walk in southern RI along a river lats weekend with my boy who was researching a project about Native Americans. Lot's of signs of fish but no flyrod.

I stopped looking at Stripermoon. I used to like it but lately I find that there is a certain "attitude" over there. It pretends to be about sharing information but noone ever really shares information. They just pontificate all the time about how it wa better in the old days and nobody really knows how to fish except a very select few.

Ah, the elite and experts have taken over another good site. Too bad. Aren't you glad the real 'folks' tend to hang out here?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Nope I am actually fake. I only pretend to be real.

I have read that there are usually winter hangovers in the providence river by the powerplant. I guess those warm outflows keep the fish there and active. I think I might give it a try this year.

I am a bit weary about taking the yak out into the ocean this time of year due to the cold water temps and the threat of rolling over. Hypothermia is not something to fool around with.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

I'm not one of Kenny's deciples, but the first time I tied a flatwing on my line I caught a truly LARGE fish.
    It keeps me interested.
    --- Horace Kephart

I too am not an Abrames disciple, yet fishing many of the areas he does his "methods" do work and they do produce large fish. Kenny is Kenny and if you can take the information and forget about the presentation then you will learn alot. I have also noticed lately that there is less information sharing on that site than in the past. In fact alot of the fishing done lately has been with the spinning rod fished the way many of the old timers did it.
    What I don't agree with is the fact that they move around from the initial meeting site yet directions aren't given for the other areas they fish or how they did so those of us who can't make the Tuesday nite get togethers can go on our own and explore new areas.

Micro,
    Naiantic poewr plant also has holdovers, but it is harder to get close up to the outflow since 9/11.

As for stripermoon, all sites have their ups and downs and for me no site gives me everything. Thats why I look at different sites for different things. Stripermoon has lots of good info and Kenny's flies seem to wrok for me.

jed

+ Reply to Thread