+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sarasota CCA Fly-Fishing Tourney

Default Sarasota CCA Fly-Fishing Tourney

Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers/CCA Inaugural "Fall Fly Fishing Challenge"

MCFF and the Sarasota Chapter of CCA-Florida will hold a fly fishing only tournament out of the Ken Thompson Park boat ramp on City Island on Oct. 29. The format will be a catch-photo-release tournament similar to the successful Sarasota CCA Photo All-Release Challenge held every year in April.
    The tournament will benefit the MCFF Scholarship Fund and CCA. An entry fee of $50 per angler will include registration, film and a BBQ following the tournament when awards will be presented. Non-anglers may attend the awards BBQ for $10. Anglers will be provided the use of a Polaroid camera and measuring board. Prizes will be awarded for redfish, snook trout and an overall Grand Champion. The awards BBQ will also feature a raffle with even more chances to win.
    Please register early, so that we can plan accordingly. Tournament applications will be available at local fly and fishing tackle shops and area fly fishing clubs. Don't miss out on the fishing, fun and prizes. Who will be the "Grand Champion" fly fisher in Sarasota? Steve Gibson will co-chair the event with Capt. Rick Grassett. Contact Capt. Grassett at (941) 923-7799 or snookfin@aol.com or Gison at (941) 315-0617.

Rick Grassett told me that he already has about 30 in the entry list. If you're interested, I'd suggest you act promptly!

Posted on the FAOL thread---- It's only 50 miles up the road, but I've never fished any tournaments and really don't plan on fishing any. For some reason they remind one of what now has become so popular; high stakes poker like the Texas hold'em tables on the telly !

The tournament isn't high stakes. And it's pretty low key. Most of the money goes to CCA and the Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers' scholarship fund.

If I could make it, I certainly would. I was vice prez of CCA Orlando chapter back in the days of the redfish hearings and the net ban. I also served on the State Board back in the early 90's when it was FCA. You guys have fun and it's for a very good cause.

sdd,

Keep in mind there are tournaments and there are tournaments. Some I agree hold no interest what so ever. Others can be fun and the "tournament" is just an excuse to raise some money and have a nice get together.

I know nothing about this one, so take this as a general comment.

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 28 September 2005).]

as stated by Jed, ..." there are tournaments and (then,sic) there are tournaments."

Since this is a get together designed to raise funds for a non-profit conservation organization , rather than a totally competative tournament, it has my support. With the emphasis on fellowship and a barbeque , it sounds like a good time .

Incidentally , is the co-chair the tyer of Grassett's Glass minnow for flats fishing ?

Dadflyer

Tight Lines
    Bright fish
    Taut threads

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

I was a little excited about the results as Nick Angelo, who took 3rd place Snook, is a friend who happens to live about 6 doors down. That kid can fish. My hat's off to anyone who fished that tournament with a fly rod. VERY windy conditions. Glad I wasn't there as I would have been turned into a weather vane sittin' in my kayak. HA!!

Here's the story ...

More than 40 of the top fly anglers on the Suncoast participated in the inaugural ?Fall Fly Fishing Challenge? held in Sarasota on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2005. The catch, photo and release format tournament pitted anglers competing against each other with fly tackle in divisions for snook, redfish, trout and an overall prize of ?Grand Champion?. The tournament, which benefits the Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers Scholarship Fund and Coastal Conservation Association, has a laid-back, relaxed type of atmosphere due to no high stakes. Anglers competed for handsome plaques, prizes donated by sponsors and ?bragging rights? to be the best fly angler in the area. Results were as follows:

Grand Champion Capt. Pete Greenan, from Sarasota, FL(largest snook, redfish and trout) with 60.75? of snook, redfish and trout

Snook Doug Forde, from Sarasota, FL, with (Total inches) 148.75? of snook

Trout Steve Gibson, from Sarasota, FL, with
    (Total inches) 152.5? of trout

Redfish No prize awarded due to anglers only (Total inches) being eligible for one award

*Although there only prizes awarded for winners of the four divisions, other noteworthy catches were made by Keith Pratt, from Bradenton, FL, with 138.75? of snook, Nick Angelo, from Land ?O Lakes, FL, with 115.5? of snook, Rusty Driver, from Sarasota, FL, with 30.5? of trout and Roger Williams, from Bradenton, FL, with 20.5? of trout.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

these kind of tournaments are a lotta fun. wish i could make it.

+ Reply to Thread