+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Integrated LInes

Default Integrated LInes

You know the ones I mean. Epo called them grain lines in the last thread. I've heard Teeny style, long sink tips, sinking lines(multigrain seems to be taken). Maybe I'm wrong but there does not seem to be one common name for these things. It can be pretty confusing to a nu-bee
    In a magazine article I read some years back it was proposed that they be called "integrated lines" to differentiate them from sinktips and fullsinks. Whaddaya think? It can all start here.

------------------
    Support politicians who support the environment

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 02 November 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Here is an attempt at an answer. I think that because there is no true "standard" it is confusing.

A sink tip is a 30' (more or less) line that is heavier than water.

An integrated line is a sink tip line that then connects to a running line which will give you a total of 100' (more or less) of line.

A long sink tip is more than the 30' at the end of the line that will sink. The rest of the line has neutral boyancy.

Full sink will all be heavier than water. The shooting head of 30' and the running line (the other 70') will all sink. This is the one that gets the line down the fastest, and is also the hardest to retrieve.

Lines are often talked about as 300 grain or 450 grain, with the grains being a measurement of weight. Heavier will sink faster... The other way lines are catagorized is by ips or inches per second that they sink. a 1.5 ~ 2.5 ips is an intermediate sinking line and a 3~ 5 ips is a full sink line.

Hope this helps. I am sure that this is not a 100% accurate post but I think it will give you some idea of where to start.

jed

zzzzzzzzzz...huh? oh!

Well,
    I wasn't really asking a question Jed, other than why don't these lines have a standard name.

If I told you I was fishing with a shooting head. You would know exactly what I meant. You just wouldn't know if it was a type 2,3,6 or even a floater.

If I told you I was using a full sinking or sink tip line, same thing (except no floater)

With these lines (teeny style, long sinking tip, labled in grains)
    there is no standard name. Each line company uses their own brand name.
    I'm proposing that they be called "integrated lines" for our convenience. To hell with what the line companys want. They will never get together on this.

By the way where do you X-country ski?

------------------
    Support politicians who support the environment

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 02 November 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I ski in and around Northfield. Its one of the advantages of living in W. MA.

Mostly what I do is not on groomed trails. There is Northfield Mountain which has some nice trails and a small fee to use them (which many locals ignore).

Another very nice place is Pisgah State Park in Hinsdale NH. It is about 15 minutes North of Northfield MA on Rt 63. There is a beautiful set of loops around a pond and over some nice hilly terrain.

Its been a while but there is a nice place in Charlemont MA (whose name I can't remember) that has some pretty trails.

Lastly there is Mohawk State park in Charlemont which has some nice trails that run a little ways along the Deerfield River. I often wish I had my rod when I do that ski .

jed

I've been meaning to try Northfield.
    My buddy is a land manager for N.U.
    He's said good things.
    I've thought about Pisgah too.
    There's not always alot of snow down here so I often look up your way.

New backcountry skis last year after 19 years on the old ones.
    --- Horace Kephart

Jed,
    That my friend was well done. Forget Marcus, he's too busy catching all my fish. You have just answered alot of my questions. I need a line that get down pretty quickly for my trip to belize in Feb. and this helps alot.
    Well Done!

Larry

I have heard lines such as Teeny lines and other similar lines referred to generically as integrated lines for at least 10 years.

The 'integrated' comes from the construction, which essentially marries a shooting head permanently to a shooting line.

It does seem that every company has specific names for their own versions - but probably because several companies, including Teeny, S.A, and Rio have more than one distinct version of integrated line. Examples in the S.A. line are the Streamer Express, Wet Tip Express, and new Custom Express integrated lines which all have different characteristics.

And it is not exactly the case that a heavier line will sink faster. If this were so a 12wt floating line would sink faster than a 200 grain integrated line. Actually the density of the line dictates sink rate. Given two lines of equal density, the heavier tends to sink faster.

+ Reply to Thread