+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i fish this reel in saltwater?

Default can i fish this reel in saltwater?

Ok folks, I'm a rookie pirate. I've only gotten down to the saltwater twice, once with 6 wt, and a very old pfluger reel that I have. The salt didn't kill the reel. The second time I took the 9wt rod and Martin reel that my father in law gave me, and it was a total disaster. I guess I just figured that it would be ok, so I dipped it in the saltwater to get the sand out, and figured i'd be ok.

Bad idea. I ought to walk the plank for that one.

So I bought a new reel, thinking that I could fish with it if I just cleaned it out when I was done fishing. Now I'm wondering if that's really the case. It's a "British Fly Reels" model with the "RimFly" thing. It wasn't a very expensive reel. It's a click and paul (is that what it's called?) and I want to go hit the water, but i'm afraid to do so.

Any ideas?

When I started in the salt I used a Pflugler.
    I learned real quick that I needed to clean and oil my reel after each use.
    Not doing so meant corroded paint and rusted springs. It could happen over night.
    If you are careful you can get away with using a freshwater reel, but but if you you forget to take care of it, it's gone.
    Most folks will tell you that you need disk drag. Many fine fish were caught with click and pawl reels. Try it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Okie_Noodler

I looked your reel up and found that while it does not hold as much backing as I would want it should handle all you will need. You will need to learn how to tire the fish by using the rod instead of the drag on the reel. But I will tell you this, for years I had done just that and never felt that I did not have enough equipment. Now I use reels that are made for what I fish for plus the extra I want to catch. But I am older and less active. I do not have the energy to chase a fish 2 or 3 hundred yards down the shore.
    Your equipment will be fine, bring plenty of leader material. I would also suggest gloves, our fish move sudden like and most of the time without warning you will have line singing out of the reel.

I will tell you this. As long as it holds enough line to get the fly where you need it and be able to handle the fish, I do not care it the reel cost 1.00 or 1000.00 the rest if up to you. You can bring a fish to hand without using the reel.

You come on down, watch some of these guys and the way they handle the rod with a fish on and you will learn a lot, just being here
    will teach you more about our kind of fishing than anything you can read. Heck you might even find out that the salt stays in your blood...

I will agree if you do not want this reel to be a single use piece of equipment you will need to clean it and clean it well. Pay close attention to the line. Soaking is a good way to remove the salt. A dip in the swimming pool works. This is the real reason the Dude had a pool put in. Heck he does not even like the water just a place to clean the equipment. Each of the salty dogs will teach you something.

Remember it is all about fun.

See you soon

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 24 October 2005).]

Just go for it. It can be done, and if you do luck into a hard-running fish, you'll be a better angler at the end of it. Just remember to rinse down your gear, and use WD-40 copiously.
    I got a 43" striper last night on an old Pflueger and didn't feel handicapped.

What Josko said. I think there is nothing more fun than to have a big fish spool you. It makes a great story that will get better with each telling. In most cases what you have will work well enough as most novices tend to catch the smaller fish.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

WD40 is my friend. Also Marvel Mystery Oil which is a little bit heavier than WD40 and is a great oil.
    jed

HH:

Headed your way (Tampa)the first week of December. You feeling up to a few hours on the water? And are you okay flinging the line on the day of our Lord? Looks like the only time I will be free.

e

eponymous:

What day do you think you will be here. I am a sound tech for our Christmas show and we have some sunday dates. Let me know what date and I will see what can be done.

Sunday is the Lords day in our family, that means we spend time with God and our family, you fit into the family part. God is everywhere and he loves the Sky way flats.

How are the boys? Will they be coming with you?

Need more data,,, hehehehehe

Harold

"God is everywhere and he loves the Sky Way Flats"

I'll bet I'm not the only one who laughed out lod at that one.

Does God also love the Mons Venus?

December 4th is the day.

eponymous

I had to look up your Mons Venus, so now I am a little red faced, but I am sure God loves the ones that spend time in there. I am not sure they all know who he is though.

Dec 4th would be a good weekend for me, our shows start the next week so I'll mark the calendar that you will be in the area.

Let me know when you will arrive and what your schedule will be like. Maybe Stev and I can meet up with you for a meal.

I start looking at the tides for that weekend, and hope the weather is nice.
    See you then.

Harold

It's a deal.

+ Reply to Thread