+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLITZ!!!

Default BLITZ!!!

Made it down to the Narrow yesterday for a couple hours and had a great time. Surf casters out on Narragenset beach were pulling in some huge cows. I got a dozen schoolies fishing right at the mouth in my yak. I finally had the opportunity to have a big fish on and I blew it.

She hit my fly 20 ft from the yak and took off with the current and a big knot in my flyline, I don't know how it fit through the guides in the first place. The fish went through most of my backing of my 9 wt. and when I tried to turn it around/ slow it down POP my 14lb test leader snapped. It has been a long time since I broke a fish off. I usually always know when to upscale my gear for big fish. I guess that I still have a lot to learn about big stripers.

So my question is do you guys upscale you gear to a 10-12 wts for the fall cows? I have been using a 9 wt. all year and yesterday I felt way undergeared.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick

[This message has been edited by Micropteris (edited 20 October 2005).]
    Your hooks sharp????

i don't, but i never fish with less than 20lb. fluro as a leader. that being said, i've lost plenty of big fish! but that's what keeps us coming back, eh micro?

Yes I have the sickness

------------------
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Micro:

When the knot is about to reach the tip twist the rod so the guides are facing up. Not sure why this helps but it does.

that once happened to me, big tangle in the line that got stuck in the first guide as the line flew out of the stripping basket. lucky for me the fish ran parallel to the beach, i ran after, untying the knot with my teeth as i went. landed the fish, though.

you know, i've ssen a new stripping basket that might interest both of you. go to drakemag.com, and check out "neat stripping basket" on the bbs...

The cones look they are in the right spot to prevent line tangles. I wonder what other colors they come in. Looks pretty expensive

------------------
    Nick

[This message has been edited by Micropteris (edited 20 October 2005).]
    Your hooks sharp????

worth every penny, i'd say!

That all depends on what else it can do. Just because it looks good doesn't clarify if it will or won't suck, I mean perform well under tough conditions.

------------------
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

there was a huge blitz in scituate as well, the other day. i picked up 16 fish on a little clouser, but i didnt get a shot at some of the cows. how long do you guys think they will stick around?

Tight lines,
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread