+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a guide...

Default Need a guide...

Hello Pirates,
    I do not dare venture into this dangerous chapter often but I need a hand...or a hook. I will be in Cape Cod next July and was wondering if there was a guide recomendation out there. Thanks in advance.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

[This message has been edited by Bostonangler (edited 11 October 2005).]

Jim, I'll get back to you with some guides. But if you want to venture to the North Shore of Massachusetts, I'd be happy to take you out in the kayaks.

dave

That would be a possibility. I will have a car. I must admit that my kayak skills...well, I have none. What do you think is the drive time? Is that a good time to fish and what weight rod would you think I 'd need?

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

The cape is 2-3 hours from the Micus fishery, depending on where you are on the cape.

Another idea is tofish with Jeff Smith. He is a great guide based in Wellfleet, MA. he can be contacted at info@finaddiction.com info@finaddiction.com his site is info@finaddiction.com [url=http://www.finaddiction.com:c3cbe]www.finaddiction.com[/url:c3cbe]
    In addition he is a moderator of [url=http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com:c3cbe]www.flyfishsaltwaters.com[/url:c3cbe] which is a great site for Cape Cod and New England saltwater fishermen to find out what is going on.

I think Flats Dude will also vouch for Jeff. I can suggest some other guides as well if you would like. Just email me. Also, where on the cape are you going? July is not the best month, but then again you might not have a choice. I always hit the cape in August which is a slack month, but it is a family vacation.

jed

What type of fishing are you after? In July the school bluefin bite should be good, but stripers will be more of a nighttime game, although there are some frustrating fish on the flats, too. In late July you might get a decent chance at inshore tunoids such as false albacore and bonito. There are guides who specialize in each of these four areas.

Fellas,
    I am game for whatever. My dad will be with me and has hasn't fished salt before. I have done some bonefishing and deep water stuff but not a ton of experience by any means. The cottage we have is in South Yarmouth, I believe.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

Dan Marini out of Chatham.

[This message has been edited by eponymous (edited 12 October 2005).]

On The Water magazine has a series of books titled "Fishing New England". They have a Cape Cod shore guide, a Rhode Island shore guide, and a Cape Cod boating guide.
    I have both shore guides and they are both worth having. Each area discription includes a map,writen directions,info on parking,what tto expect when you get there (if the spot is best for bait, plugging or fly), and maybe a little history too. [url=http://www.onthewater.com/merchandiseotw.htm:1b1f7]http://www.onthewater.com/merchandiseotw.htm[/url:1b1f7]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

You need to look up Randy Jones at [url=http://www.yankeeangler.com:0213d]www.yankeeangler.com[/url:0213d] . Randy is a personal friend, an stand out Mustad Prostaffer and one heck of a teaching guide. He guides for Stripers and Blues along the beaches. His fee is very reasonable and best of all, after a day with him you will be ready to chase some fish on your own time.

I throughly enjoy fishing with Randy as he has a great personality and those who we have referred to him also really enjoyed themselves.

You would not regret booking a day or two with him

PS - Catch a few for me

Note that Randy fishes from shore and when you fish with Randy you may have to do some walking. Jeff (and I think Dan too) fish from boats so it is less strenuous. So if that's an issue keep it in mind.

What DrFish says about fishing on your own after a day with Randy is a very good point if you'll be there for a few days.

jed

+ Reply to Thread