Jed:
My daughter lives in Brooklyn and her husband is a NYC firefighter. I visit from NJ and we go over to Floyd Bennett Field. We tried Dead Horse Bay. If you park near the ranger station (take a left on Flatbush Ave at the light just before the bridge) and then walk across the avenue and down the trail. Take the left fork and it brings you out where there is lots of structure. Watch the tides, it comes in fast and covers the beach entirely. You could launch your kayak from there easily. Also, the place is a Nineteenth century dump and is covered with broken glass (NO BARE FEET). I waded there and fished around the old pylons.

Hit the main ranger station in the old airfield tower. They are very helpful and you can get a map.

Also, I understand that the old seaplane ramps are dynamite for flounder and blackfish. However, this is well advertised and may get crowded unless you go really early.

Great Luck, and maybe we'll run into you. I'll probably know it's you since my son-in-law and I were the only fly fisherman out there.

dc