+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flounder on a fly, again

Default Flounder on a fly, again

I noticed a post back awhile where a lot of folks fish for flounder on a fly.
    Couple of questions:
    1. Do you have to use a sinking line? I've only fished a floater and I'm a little afraid to try a sinking line since it seems hard to cast
    2. The Clouser seems to win as the best fly. What's the best way to fish it?
    3. Are there any other bottom fish that folks go after with a fly?
    Thanks,
    dc

A sinking line is not hard to cast, but it is harder to pick up from on the water. You have to bring almost all of it back in before you can make a second cast or do a roll cast to pull some of it out of the water and then immediately bring it up into the air.

PS I never target bottom fish, only catch them from time to time.

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 16 October 2005).]

The technique that Jed is refering to is called ,"The rolling pickup". Its very easy to learn the idea and pratice the moves with a floteing line, then applie them to a sinking line. In fact once learned it can be used to over come a lot of small situations with any type of line. If you need a more indepth explination just ask.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

You dont have to fish a sinking line if the water is shallow and the current is slow,but it helps.I fish an intermediate most of the time and its an easy line to cast.As far as fishing a Clouser,I find a steady strip the best retrieve.You dont need to hit the bottom as flounder are excellent swimmers and very agressive predators.You cannot swim a fly too fast for them,they will catch it.I sometimes catch croaker and spot in the same areas with flounder.

One you get the line pick up, down like everyone else suggested casting a sinking line is easier than a floater. I now prefer using sinking lines unless Popping because the sinkers shoot better, particuarly in the wind

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Thanks all for the great feedback on this question. In answer to the one question: I am new to fly fishing. My casting leaves a bit to be desired, but I get it out there ok. I practice all the time. I've never cast a sinking line and until I get more confidant with casting in general, I'm afraid to try something new.

The sinking line or intermediate sounds interesting, though so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Again, thanks for the feedback and advice. Can't hurt to add another kind of fish to the things that you can catch and I love flounder.

dc

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

ds

I didn't have a sinking line the last time I went out and took advantage of a spur-of-the-moment situation. I just used a 9+ leader and weighted flies. Clousers are always a great choice. I was fishing off a relatively calm beach and the rig worked well. If I were going to do it again I would definitely bring along a sinking-tip line or a full sinking line. Neither is particularly hard to cast. In fact if there is a strong wind, I will often go to the thinner sinking line because it has less wind resistance. Dscapuano, as to other fish, the great thing about saltwater fishing is that you can never tell whats going to take a liking to your fly. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Eight Thumbs and others that answered my question:
    That's one reason I like the salt so much. The other reason is that I fish a relatively unfished spot on Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn, NY with my son-in-law. It's quiet and relaxing, but I can watch jumbo jets overhead getting ready to land at JFK airport, tons of traffic on the Belt Parkway, and see the Verzanno Narrows bridge in the distance. A little different than fishing in the Rockies or Canada, but it does it for me.
    Thanks a bunch for all the advice.
    dc

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

ds,

Sounds like a great spot. Enjoy! 8T

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 17 October 2005).]

ds,

I grew up in Brooklyn and spent lots of time in and around Jamaica Bay. I never fished it much, but it is on my list of places to fish next year. I tried to do it this year, but time did not permit.

Do you fish it for flounder or stripers or both? I want to get there with my kayak, and if not, just wade. It is one of those places that seems so out of place in NYC.

I used to swim in it, with the constant reminder from my mother, "don't drink the water" !

jed

+ Reply to Thread