+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is an Abel Super 8 reel worth it?

I like my Super 8 and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I also have a Super 10 and like it too. For anything bigger that requires an 8 weight I don't think you can go wrong, but I don't know if I'd buy a Super 5 or smaller because the drag setting will change if the reel gets wet. Not a big deal when you're using heavy tippets, but for light stuff like 5X you might find that those changes in drag setting bother you. Is it worth the price tag? To me it is, you could always buy one and if you don't like it you could sell it on Ebay where they sell for near retail all the time.

I've seen Ross, Lamson and lots of Bauers crap out when they were needed most and far from home I wouldn't be able to rely on them like an Abel or Tibor.

>>I've seen Ross, Lamson and lots of Bauers crap out when they were needed most and far from home I wouldn't be able to rely on them like an Abel or Tibor.<<

Really? When, where and how? I'm not exactly calling you a liar but I find this hard to believe. I have all three and, except for the cheap plastic clicker on a Cimarron falling in the sand, not a one of them failed in any way, shape or form. These are a Big Game 4, Litespeed 3.5 and Bauer LOHR. They tagged everything from steel and salmon in 10 degree weather to false albacore in the salt.

Just the other day I was steelheading with a new friend out here on the coast. His Ross siezed up putting him out of commission until he could get a loaner. Saw a lamson clicker fall out while in Belize which made the reel not work, and I've seen at least three Bauers break while guiding. I guess I should have taken pictures to prove this to you. Never seen a Galvan break.

Saw only one Gunnison ever freeze up. It got smoked at Christmas Island by a trevally.

I have seen several bauers get smoked by king salmon and chum salmon. That was a while ago (1999) maybe they are better now??

The old lamson LPs broke down all the time. I've easily seen in excess of 25 complete drag meltdowns. The problem was with the old clutches, which they eventually fixed. The newer lamsons work a lot better.

I have an able big game 0.5 that has had problems with the spool siezing up (first Abel problem I've ever seen or experienced). Haven't sent it back yet but I need too. The failure rate on Abel reels is tiny but make enough of them and sooner or later one will fail. Same thing w/ the Gunnison. However, I don't think you get $300 more worth of reliability for your money with the Abel over other brands. You just get one of the nicest reels you can get for any price. For me I like my equipment so it's well worth it.

[This message has been edited by ktokj (edited 10 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread