+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is an Abel Super 8 reel worth it?

1. Default Is an Abel Super 8 reel worth it?

Ok, is an Abel Super 8 reel worth the $620 price tag???

to me, no. I can get an fantastic outfit for that price. However, some things become a target of desire for folks. So, if I really wanted something like that I would save, eventually purchase it, and be awfully pleased with myself and my reel.

Absolutely. Especially if you are considering traveling to exotic places to fish. While other reels fail the Abel just keeps on preforming with no worries. Considering it is easy to spend $4,000 on a trip the expenditure of $590 is cheap insurance when you will be meeting up with a fish that can do almost 30 miles an hour and almost melt other reels.
    FFF Life Member #22

never...

I with Dick on this one. Absolutely. When I'm out for Marlin and big game, and have flown 1/2 around the globe hoping to catch the fish of a lifetime, the last thing I want to happen is to have a reel fail because I got cheap and wanted to save a few bucks on a reel. When I went shopping to buy a big game reel every shop I went to said the reel they were showing me "was just as good as an Abel" that was 6 years ago, the other reels I looked at are no longer being made(Orvis Vortex). Abels are the best reel on the market with the best drag system, period. You get what you pay for, when I'm fishing for 200lb fish you can bet there will be an Abel on my rod!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

i sold a bunch, but wouldn't buy one. I'd rather have a Ross Canyon, a Waterworks ULA Force, or a Litespeed. (in that order)

They're all about $200 cheaper. Cork has worked well for decades, but so did carburetors. I welcome the new technology.

Great reels, I own several super series. You will not be dissapointed with the workmanship, finish or performance. Fine reels are like fine shotguns, it's a personal choice. They are meant to be enjoyed.

Fish while you can,
    FFMachine

look at the old photos of joe brooks and lefty kreh fishing in the salt for tarpon and bonefish and everything else. they are using pfluger medalists. i think this talk about frying the drag is just that. that's not to say i would fish with a $20 no name reel, but it does mean i don't feel the need to spend $620 so the drag doesn't 'fry.'

The Super 8 is a high quality product that will last a lifetime.

For $385 you can buy an Abel X-Stream 10-11-12 and for $455 a #3 that have the same mechanical components and drag and dimensions as the Super 8. Both are slightly heavier and not large arbor.

If I'm laying a lot of coin out for a trip to somewhere remote I want at least 1 reel with a proven track record such as the Abel, Tibor, Pate, Hayden, etc.

I have witnessed low to mid range reels blow drag components on big fast running fish like tuna and big dorado. But your probably not going to use a Super 8 for these fish, unless you put #3 spool on it.

In the last few years some excellent mid range reels have come available such as the Redington Brakewater and Old Florida reels two name two that you can get for less than $300. You can buy two of these for less than an Abel Super.

Only the purchaser can determine the worth of an item to him.

Micus...
    The only reason you didn?t see Joe Brooks, Ted Williams and Lefty Kreh?s pictures with Abel Reels was that they weren?t being made then. They would have especially been using them if they had the chance because they would get them for nothing. Take a look or ask Lefty what he uses today for big game fish and I am sure he tell you either an Abel or a Tibor. The Super 8?s are not $620 but $590 (that?s a difference of $30) and if you take the trouble to look you will find them way cheaper on eBay.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread