+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homosassa

Default Homosassa

Hello fellow flyfishers,
    I am new to the board and new to Homosassa, FL. Anyone out there in the general area? I am looking for a local fly fishing club where I can become involved in local conservation efforts and meet other fly fishermen. I am also in the market for a flats boat and any opinions on very skinny water boats would be welcome. I am aware of Hells Bay and Maverick HPX models, but am looking for other more affordable alternatives. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Soon to be on the flats, Andrew

Welcome aboard! Our salt is a bit colder up here, and we will soon have a nice salmon run to play with! I'm sure the southern boys will help you out.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

J. Andrew,

If you're looking for a cheap way out you may want to consider this ...
    [url=http://www.paddle-fishing.com:124b7]http://www.paddle-fishing.com[/url:124b7]

You could get rigged for $1,000 + or - depending on what you want/need.

Kayaks go in VERY skinny water and they are also allowed in waters that combustibles aren't. According to my DeLORME, Homosassa looks very kayak friendly. All you need is a break in the bushes to launch one. Of course, this is taking into consideration you're not trespassing on private property.

Gil
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Oh, forgot ... as far as joining a group, CCA (Coastal Conservation Assoc.) would be something to consider. They aren't specifically fly fishing but they are here for all anglers. They also have a local chapter in Citrus Co. where you are. Or in Hernando to the south if you prefer.

Here's the link ...
    [url=http://www.ccaflorida.org/chapters.htm:37c0a]http://www.ccaflorida.org/chapters.htm[/url:37c0a]

They could even hook you up with a fly fishing club should there be on in your area.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Welcome aboard J.A. I'm a little closer to the east coast (I primarily fish Titusville). CCA, formerly FCA, isn't a "club" so to speak, but a great organization that gets involved in recreational political issues. Years ago we saved the redfish from extinction through political pressure on a state level. The net ban in Florida was CCA's highlight which brought back our baitfish, trout, mullet stocks, etc.
    I'm a little spoiled since I owned a Hewes Redfisher for many years, but you're right, they've become very expensive.
    Homosassa, and you probably already know this, is a premier tarpon hot spot in May with fish in the 200 lb class. 12 wt. rods ad 4/0 flies!!! (and back-breaking fights). In as far as boats, look around for used Hewes', there are some pretty nice deals out there, rare, but possible.
    Be careful though, some of the passes around there are pretty rocky...talk to the locals. You're a little far north for snook, but a few miles south in the Tampa Bay area there is some good snook fishing. Reds and trout in the Homosassa area ain't bad.

------------------
    ?If I had to live my life over and only carry one learned thing with me on my new journey, it would have to be, without a doubt, fishing.?
    The Flats Dude

Mitzi Skiffs. Pathfinder 15 and 17Ts (will be used, don't believe they're made anymore). Hewes Tailfisher. Gordon Boatworks Waterman. Everglades Canoe Gladesman. Ranger Banshee. Hell's Bay Whipray.

Check [url=http://www.boattraderonline.com,:5b8a8]www.boattraderonline.com,[/url:5b8a8] search for "flats boats"

JB

Homosossa is also home to World Woods. The finest public Golf facility in the US. If you are into that sort of thing.

Epo,
    What is this Golf thig you talk about. If your waving a stick, why do it on land?

jed

The thought of grown men wacking and playing with balls is making me uneasy

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Thanks for the welcome aboard LadyFlyfisher and the prompt replies fellows. I have been studying the Homosassa and Chasowhitzka bay areas on maps and talking to a lot of local fishermen at very cool river side watering hole called the "Shed". The bottom here is very hard and rocky, lots of oysters. Per the locals, you haven't been initiated into Homosassa flats fishing until you loose at least one lower unit. As luck would have it, I located a 2003 Maverick HPX-T for sale locally at a very decent price, considering they are over $30k new. So, tomorrow I am heading to the flats for a day of fishing and checking out the HPX, things are looking up!

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread