This is amazing! I never knew that there were so many fly rod flounder fishers.

The first reference to this sport that I can remember was years ago in one of the outdoor magazines titled "Flyrod Flatties", a how to article about fly fishing the Long Island bays.

What little I did was during beach vacations in the 50s and 60s and those who observed my flogging the surf and back bays thought I was nuts! Many had never seen a fly rod before.

My mother considered the flounder the best of all fish. That gave me an excuse to persue them with the fly rod while my father was going for stripers with the usual surf equipment.

The skinny water you are going to be fishing would allow a lightly weighted streamer or streamer split shot combination to be used. A sink tip or sinking line would be of advantage in anything deeper.

I would probably use a three piece leader of about 8 feet. 20, 15, and 10 lb test would work OK. I'd add tippett if very small flies were to be used.

I share your angst about stepping on something bad in unfamiliar surroundings and therefore would use wading shoes, at least at first.

My limited knowledge has probably been superceeded by that above but I found the best fly at the time was a plain white Maribou palmered around the shank with Jungle cock eyes and no topping.

I fished the waters of Cape Cod, the Indian River area of Delaware, Ocean City Maryland and the Chincoteague area of Virginia.

The flyrod did as well as any other method at the times I was fishing especially in very shallow water. I suppose that the heavily weighted Clousers might be better now But I hadn't heard of them at the time. Maybe they didn't exist.

This may not have been very instructive but It was meant to elicit enthusiasm for flyrod fishing for flounder more than anything else. Wish I could try it again!

Ol' Bill